Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #1 
happypappy

swollen belly-- how to treat??

I have 10 betta tanks and all water parameters and feeding schedules etc. are the same. I came back from a short 5 day trip to find my crowntail looking pregnant. I think my husband overfed! So I am looking for solutions and have found everyone has a different opinion -- peas, epsom salt baths, epsom salt in the tank, different dosages for epsom salt.

I need an eduated opinion on how to treat this pregnant looking otherwise healthy and swimming normally betta??
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

IME, fasting for a few days typically solves the problems, if that doesn't work then additional treatment would need to be considered.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #3 
DragonFish

If hes just been over-fed a little, a couple of days of fasting should do the trick. Don't feed him anything for a day or two, keep an eye on him and watch for his poo. In a healthy, active betta in a properly sized, heated tank he should be able to process and pass the bit of extra food without much problem.

If after a couple of days you see no poo and his belly hasn't gone down, pick up some frozen(NOT freezedried!)Daphnia and feed him a little. Bettas are carnivorous fish and don't digest plant matter well, so the pea treatment can often just cause more problems. Daphnia, I believe, is a water flea; a betta-safe alternative to the pea treatment. You can also feed it regularly a couple of times a week like other frozen foods.

If he seems to start getting more lethargic and/or floating on his side and having difficulty swimming, separate him out into a heated bare bottom QT, pick up some plain unscented Epsom salt, dissolve 1 tsp per gallon and add it into his QT. If he'll eat, offer him Daphnia as well. Change his water out daily with the epsom salt and keep offering him Daphnia until he improves.
Just in case he goes down that road....which, hopefully he won't.

Best of luck. :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I agree with shellieca, fast for a day or so and make a 50% water change for now-especially since he is otherwise acting okay. If he has any change in symptoms or behavior he may need a treatment.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #5 
happypappy

Thanks to all for the response. I tried to research this and found so much confusion on the treatment -- mainly feeding peas! and using epsom salt as just a bath. Seems to me that switching back and forth just makes more stress. Anyway, I have not fed him for 2 days and he still seems bloated. I will pick up some daphnia tomorrow. Thanks !!
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote