Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 
labloverl

What is this white spot on Sawyer's side!?

A few days ago, I noticed that Sawyer was a bit bloated. I thought it was because I fed him too much, but I floated him in a cup to separate him from the other 2 males in the divided tank just in case something else was wrong. There's a video in this thread... http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=113608

The bloating is obviously down, and he pooped a good amount 2 days ago but nothing since. I haven't fed him since the day the thread was posted. He has gotten a little bit back to old self, but not compeltely.. maybe because he's in a cup. He's just not as interested in things as he used to be. I don't have a qt tank, so that's why he's in the cup. I do daily 100% water changes in the cup. Today I was going to put him back in the tank since he seemed to be better, until I noticed this white lump. I've seen a betta with cottonmouth, and this is kinda what the white lump reminds me of. So what is this, and will he be okay!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgwfWSldjX4

Also, I think I saw him shredding his slime coat today?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #2 
Sapphoira

Hard to tell, but it looks like pics I've seen of Lymphocystis - does it look textured, like cauliflower?
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #3 
labloverl

Um, yea... It's kinda fuzzy looking...
Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #4 
labloverl

anyone?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #5 
Sapphoira

Well I'm not very well versed in lymphocystis, but that definitely could be what you are dealing with. I've read online that there is no known treatment, and usually it will go away on it's own. Sometimes the growth can impair daily function, such as when it grows over a fin or gills. Some sites say that if that happens, it CAN be removed with a scalpel but it will severely stress the fish out and leave them open to bacterial infections. I would recommend keeping your fish under observation and make sure your water has all the correct params +temp, and if he starts to exhibit other symptoms of unhappiness such as lethargy or clamping you might want to consider treating for a fungal infection. I did read that lympho can often be mistaken for things such as cottonmouth, so I guess keep an eye out for the symptoms of cotton mouth besides the white lump. You might also pm Oldfishlady, as apparently she is the all knowing guru on fish diseases around here :)
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #6 
labloverl

Ok, thank you! The thing is... I've been dumping his old cup water into the 5 gallon I'm cycling!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

If its fuzzy...I would start a salt and tannin treatment while in the Qt....float the QT in a heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-77F range for treatment.

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the salt 3tsp/gal and tannin source if you have one. Use this premixed Tx water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-this will get him acclimated to the new chemistry and start the treatment.

Tomorrow start 50% daily water changes with the premixed Tx water.

He needs to stay in the QT in the Tx water for the duration of the treatment period of 10 days.
If you added a tannin source-the water should look darker every day and this is what you want.

If you have access to mosquito larva-offer several rinsed a couple of times a day, otherwise, feed good quality varied diet in small frequent meals...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #8 
labloverl

Well I kinda hate to say it's fuzzy... It's hard to get a good look at, but it looks like it popped right out of his body.

I've got a new tank that I'm going to use for qt, and it's between 1 and 2 gallons. Can I put him in that?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #9 
labloverl

Here a some pics, but I can't get any to show any texture. Sorry if they're too big.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #10 
labloverl

I'm really sorry to post again, but if I need to put him in a bigger qt, then I need to be doing it soon. I have a tank similar to this one, but not sure one the exact amount of water it holds. If I should put him here, would it be better for him at this point to have the airstone/filter running, or not?http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-2-...-Pets/14660256