Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #1 
toad

Fasting advice?

Hi guys!

I'm wondering if it's A) safe and B) beneficial to fast mollies and neon tetras? They eat twice a day, and I've been giving them Omega One tropical flakes, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, and freeze dried tubifex worms (not all at once, of course!). The tubifex worms are just a treat, mostly, and I like to hold the little cube so everyone will come up and eat from my hand :)

I googled "fasting neon tetras", but all that came up was "neon tetras are fast" I know it's normal to fast bettas, and I do fast mine on Sundays. But I just want to make sure that I ought to be fasting these other little guys...

Thanks everyone!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #2 
inuudo

I am of no help whatsoever with your question, but could I ask you about feeding neons?

I just got nine and feed them the Omega flakes twice a day; they seem a bit ... slow? in understanding what to do. Or perhaps it's me. I've been crumbling the flakes and leaving most of the pieces on the surface while sinking the larger ones. A couple of them attack the large sinkers immediately; most of the surface stuff goes unnoticed, and some of the smaller pieces that sink get mouthed but not eaten.

Sorry for derailing your topic so immediately, but is that your experience with how they eat, or should I be doing something different?
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #3 
harleraven

Inuudo, I push all of the pieces down into the tank for the neons. They just do not go up to the top. They are more middle-swimming fish, though.

I'm not sure about fasting, though. I divide up their feed into twice daily feedings since that is how I feed my cats (makes it easy to remember when to feed). They just get less each feeding.
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

If they are carnivorous, I would say yes, fast them. If they are omnivorous or herbivorous, then it won't really help...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #5 
harleraven

They are carnivorous. Though it is hilarious watching them fit the larger pieces of frozen brine shrimp in their mouths.

I'm glad you asked, though, as I was wondering if I needed to fast mine. I think I'll fast mine tomorrow, since Sunday seems like a good day to do it.
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #6 
toad

Thanks guys :)

And yes, I have noticed that they don't like to go to the top; they will usually wait for the pieces to sink, or the mollies to drop something.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Tetra are omnivores, I believe, most fish are. Fasting any type of fish is fine, most people fast their tanks, I fast my cichlids/rainbowfish.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #8 
toad

Thanks Olympia :)