Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #1 
LizzyP

FREAKING OUT, please help!

I am seriously freaking out. I have no idea what this is, or what it could be, or anything. Please help me.

Housing
What size is your tank? Usually a 5.5, but now is in a 1 gallon for fin rot treatment
What temperature is your tank? 80-81
Does your tank have a filter? In his 5.5 yes, 1 gallon no.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet, FD bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets 2x per day, bloodworms 1-2 times per week as a meal (1 worm), fasting on Sundays

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2x per week in the 5.5, everyday for the 1 gallon
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 5.5=50% 1=100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Usually just API Stresscoat, water clarifier (we have cloudy water) but now adding salt as well

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I just changed the water, so all levels should be at 0. Except pH, obviously. It's high, but can't remember the exact number

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It started out as white dots, like whiteheads almost. Has now spread to a gray/white area. Almost like a beard.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't really, he is still eating, active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed the dots the other day, didn't really think about them until today when I did his WC
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet for this, he is an AQS treatment tank, though
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not anything like this. Just a little fin rot right now.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Couldn't tell you--Walmart fish

I noticed some whitehead looking things under Dumbledore's chin the other day, posted about it, and people told me it could be parasites or ich. I looked at pictures of both things, and it didn't look like either. So I blew it off thinking it was his coloring. Now today when I did his WC I was spending some time with him waiting for his water to warm up and his chin is grey/white. I thought it might be stress over the water change, but he has NEVER been like this. Like I said, he still has an appetite, still active, mad as heck about being in a cup. What is this? How do I cure it? Is he going to die? Dumbledore is my very first betta, and has put up with me through all the newbie mistakes I made and basically been my baby boy. I'm not ready to lose him. :(

LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #2 
Friendlyfishies

Im to new to bettas to know, hopefully someone on here with more experience can help? is the color changing to grey or is it fuzzy?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #3 
LizzyP

I don't really know...I mean, I don't think it looks fuzzy. It is changing to grey, though.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Is it night time?

My bettas grey right before bed time, I usually take that as a note to turn the light off :)

Looks fine to me IMO
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #5 
LizzyP

It is getting late, about 11pm. But, his light hasn't been on all day. I haven't been home today so the only light he got is from the room, nothing like directly on his tank.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

It might just simply be him getting ready to sleep :)

I made a thread a few months ago about the same situation, I thought Buddha was an old fart xD
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote