I just won a betta fish at a wedding (it was part of the centerpiece). I'm worried that I might have already made some bad moves. Right now, it's in the vase that it came with. There are only some pebbles at the bottom. It had a glow light but I took it out thinking it may be too bright and uncomfortable for it. The first mistake I made was putting some food in it, which now seems like a lot. It was like around 6-8 pellets, some of which are now sitting at the bottom of the vase below the pebbles. The next mistake was to put some more water in the vase as soon as I got home. It was from the filter, but I still don't think it was a good idea. The more I read about how to care for the betta fish the more worried I get. I don't want it to end up dead by tomorrow. :(
Last edited by celie; 09-15-2012 at 11:35 PM.
They're tough little guys, so one night of mistakes likely won't hurt him. But go out tomorrow and get an appropriate sized bowl or tank (filters are good but not necessary, and heaters are also pretty important), and some water conditioner. Then read a lot. This forum has lots of good information. You'll make it through, and I'm sure he'll be a happy little fish.
its okay, just go from here and hope for the best. They usually survive the nasty petstore cups so it will probably survive this, well hopefully. Do you have a heater yet? I would place the betta in a cup and change the water, let the water sit til its room temp if you dont have a heater yet and use water conditioner...you can pick some conditioner up at walmart. I would give it a tad more water than what I see in the pic. Ive had bettas for years but didnt get into the serious care of them til recently when I found this forum! so much info on here. There may be some more experience ppl on here who can help you but this is what I would do if it were me in your shoes :) hope it helps and good luck! I wouldnt mind winning one lol!
The extra food is not going to kill him it will just dirty his water so you will probably need to do a water change soon, though I am guessing you were getting a bigger tank or space for it anyways. Now when you saw filter, do you mean filter tap water from your faucet? I am not sure filters take away chlorine, so yes that sounds like a horrid idea. You need some water conditioner or leave your water to age (a day or more) before adding it to the bowl so it looses the chlorine.
You made one good move and that is coming here. We are always happy to help. I would say start with a tank at least 2.5 gal, a heater, silk plants, and one cave like structure. Water conditioner, and it seems you already got some betta food. Once you get him basics like that you'll be on a good path with your fish. Just take a deep breath you two will be fine. (yes I did say silk...plastic is horid. I just found that out myself. No matter if it snags pantyhoes or not it's the devils material and shreds fins.)
I also agree it's unlikely one night in filtered water will kill your betta nor will the pellets. If your looking into buying a tank try to buy one that comes with everything you need to start your betta off right. You will need to purchase a heater separately. A good water conditioner is a must. I recommend Seachem Prime.
I don't have a heater or anything yet. Just the little food container it came with. I don't even think he likes that food. I need to go out tomorrow and buy the suggested items.... tank, heater, water conditioner, and better food. Is the heater really necessary? I just hope these items don't cost me too much...
If I were to add more water to the vase/bowl... would it be a decent home for now?
I see a lot of ppl with this tank, all youd need to buy extra is the heater I believe??...then you can chose if you want to add plants/gravel et...heater is suggested to keep the betta alive long term...my old blue guy died in 2 week as soon as we dropped temps, i had no idea what was wrong with him (this was like 3 years ago before I knew these forums existed)..now I realize he was too cold :/ very sad.
i think it would be best to leave him in there for now. and honestly i think the heater is the most important thing after water conditioner. if you really dont want to spend too much, that vase looks like it holds at least a gallon, you could just keep him in the vase with the heater, and just leave the water how it is for now, you dont want to add any more until you get water conditioner for it, i also recommend seachem prime for a water conditioner, but it is alot if you only have one fish, and is a little bit more pricey. if you want a cheaper alternative, get tetra bettasafe water conditioner. for food, the best foods they sell at petstores are omega one betta buffet pellets, and new life spectrum pellets. also, welcome to the forum! and good luck with your new guy :)
Betta's need to be in water at the very minimal 72 degrees up to 80 degrees. Always do your research online you can get a complete tank (without a heater) for a great price at Petsmart, Petco, Amazon, and Walmart. Depending on the climate where you like a heater might be a necessity.