Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #1 
misty1477

Smile Oak Leaf + Bubble Nest --- WOW !!!

After doing a 100% water change/tank cleaning, I installed the new Hydro Theo heater and floated an oak leaf in Sparkle's tank.

I wish I had an underwater camera !!!

Sparkle did't even want his breakfast today. He was so busy zooming around and making a gigantic bubble nest!! The underside of the leaf is almost covered + bubble nests are around the leaf also. It is so awesome

I was watching him make the nest and wishing I could get a good video. He has made a few small bubble nests in the past (I never saw him doing the construction), but this time I had a front-row seat

I don't know if this activity is because of the leaf or his tank being heated correctly or both, but I can only guess that he is happy.

At least he stopped biting his tail for now...was bored or tail was too long and fluffy for him.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bettas build nests because of instant I have heard of dying bettas building bubble bests. Do you plan on spawning him we could give you pointers if you do.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #3 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Bettas build nests because of instant I have heard of dying bettas building bubble bests. Do you plan on spawning him we could give you pointers if you do.
Hope is isn't dying

It would be nice to spawn him...but I don't have enough room and/or $$$ to get into that right now. I am still trying to save enough to finish decorating his tank

I would love to mate him with a blue or purple VT !!! Since he is orange...I wonder what colors I would get.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #4 
babystarz

He's certainly not dying XD The oak leaf helps encourage instinctual spawning because it floats similarly to Indian almond leaves, which fall into the natural habitat of bettas and are commonly used to shelter bubble nests. Just be aware that leaves have a habit of capsizing after a certain amount of time and ruining bubble nests, so if you ever did spawn him you might want to consider taping the leaf securely to the side of the tank or offering him styrofoam/bubble wrap/plastic lids/other things that will definitely float long term.

The temperature increase could have also sparked his spawning behavior, and since he skipped his breakfast he's clearly serious about this nest. One way breeders get bettas in the mood to do this is turning up the tank temperature on purpose. Don't be surprised if he continues to refuse food for a couple of days, he may be waiting for his "spawn" to hatch. Sometimes male fish forget that they can't have babies on their own XD Many will not eat until their fry are safely free-swimming, which takes 3-4 days.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta toys, bubble nest, bubble nests, oak leaves