Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Females vs Males

What do you prefer and why?

I'm asking because before I got Aquaman my little boy I was looking into getting a girl. I am still considering it and normally I like females over males but I don't know what separates a female from a male other than looks. I know they can be kept in sororities but can they also me perfectly happy alone? Do they have personality differences? And if you have girls what do you like most about them?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #2 
OrangeAugust

I just got my first female a few days ago. I also have 2 males.
The only difference I've noticed is just that they look different. They're smaller and have shorter fins so they can swim faster, too. I think they're super cute. Some males have weird faces. lol. The females don't seem to have that "underbite" that the males do. I dunno about personality Lila (my female) is more easily stressed out than my boys. She gets stress stripes at what seem like minor things. But I've only had her for a few days so she's still adjusting. I've heard that females will show stress stripes more often than a lot of males, though.
Otherwise, I'm still getting to know her so she doesn't seem different from my males. Well, Fishie is kind of in a class of his own. lol. but she acts pretty similar to Shiny- lots of leisurely swimming around.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 09-16-2012 at 12:49 AM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:18 AM   #3 
PaulO

Well when I was younger I only had male bettas and about 2 months ago I got my two girls. These are way more interesting then the males I have had in their own little ways. The girls are way less aggressive and are usually more curious and interested in things outside their tank. Whenever it's time to eat they both start flaring and swimming around crazily anticipating the food all hyper. My males would just position themselves in the bottom middle of the tank looking up waiting for a pellet to drop on the water than slowly swim up and pluck it off the surface. Of the fish I had all 3 were crown tails and they were very chill. The 2 females I have now are a lot more energetic and interesting to watch. Also females do have that little under bite look, as far as I know it's a characteristic of carnivorous fish (adapted to pluck insects off surface of the water) I think it's kinda funny as they look like a little fish version of a pug or boxer.

Last edited by PaulO; 09-16-2012 at 03:21 AM.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:12 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

At first I didn't want females because they weren't as pretty as males but I ended up with one when I went to return a dead one to petco. I had 14 at one point but right now I have 5 that are somehow managing to coexist with a male *gasp* Petco labled him as a female but he turned out to be a really young VT male. I do not recommend trying this though. I never would of put him in there if I knew at the time it as a male. He seems to be uninterested in the ladies and very sedate, so for now he shall stay.

Other then smaller fins, I think the only real difference is that they may be faster then the longer fined males. They can live together but they can also be just as aggressive as males. I have seen some horror stories on here of unsuccessful females tanks. I have been really lucky with almost all of my females - only 2 were too aggressive to live with others. I also tried breeding last year and the female beat the crap out of the male. Almost all his fins were gone. He recovered quickly though.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-16-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #5 
toad

I have 3 boys and 2 girls. They aren't much different; my females are just tiny and very fast. They spaz out and get excited any time you come up to the tank, it's very cute. I don't think it really makes any difference, whether you get a male or a female.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

I like females

They tend to be more active due to less finnage weighing them down. Although this does go for male plakats as well.

They're also misuderstood, and I'm a sucker to love the misunderstood. ;)
They're thought to be tiny ugly and practically colorless, but that is not the case for most females.

The only con about females really is that they tend to Be easily stressed, thts why many you see in stores will have stress stripes.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

I like males but I'm biased since I only have 1 Betta and he's a male. Soon... I will get another one soon. I planned to get a female Betta for my 2nd one but my parents won't allow it... :I I like them better for their longer fins. ;) Mine is pretty active when I'm around, but when I'm not... He's Patrick Star all over again.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I stand to be corrected, but I've read that "stress stripes" might more accurately be called "submission stripes." Females, as well as small, weak or young males are likely to display them.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #9 
PaulO

I thought submission stripes are vertical and stress stripes are horizontal, is that right or am I missing something here? For some reason the fish in my avatar always has horizontal lines on the sides of her head but none along her body.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
I thought submission stripes are vertical and stress stripes are horizontal, is that right or am I missing something here? For some reason the fish in my avatar always has horizontal lines on the sides of her head but none along her body.
Vertical stripes are displayed when a female is ready to breed.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote