Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #1 
Pilot00

Advice need for a possible pet store job.

First of all sorry if this isn't in the right forum section. Please move it if needed.

Secondly I wanted to ask a big sorry because recently i tired you people on a lot of the threads, by spamming you with my movement problems. Sorry again.

Now, in the process of searching for a job after my move into Stockholm, I am seriously thinking of applying to the local petstores.
What I want to ask you is, if any of you have had experience with working on LPS or LFS or even on the big chains. I know that since we are talking about different countries somethings ofc, change but I want general hints and tips.
I havent worked in a petshop before but I have knowledge of many species under my belt and I know of both their living conditions, diet and maintenance and a little bit of caring for their deceases in general. The only serious lack of knowledge i have, is on the dog and cat department. Seriously I never had cats and dogs in my life due to space problems.

So to make this long story short please give me tips. From how it is preferable to apply (online / in person), on what to say to the interview (if it ever comes) to whatever you think its worthwhile.

Thanks for you replies and sorry for the humongous post.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Most chain stores follow an instruction guide. Like were the fish go. They kept goldfish and apple snails together. They stopped all on their own head quarterrs would probably be mad if they found out.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #3 
AngesRadieux

Whether you should apply online or in person really varies from one place to another. I've applied for jobs where the application could only be submitted online and other places where I was able to get a hard copy of an application. I would go into the store, ask for an application, and see what they say. If they do take hard copies, I would go that route. That way they see your face, you can talk to employees in the store, etc.

I would also make sure to shop there regularly. That way the employees will start getting to know you. There was a job I applied for where someone in the store immediately pulled my application and made a note that I should be interviewed just because I was always in the store and most of the employees knew who I was. The job I ended up getting came because I was taking weekly piano lessons at the store so when I finally asked about teaching people there knew me and knew that I was qualified. I didn't even have to go through a real interview. Basically, I handed in my resume, they had me talk to one of the voice teachers who was already there to see how he runs lessons, they explained store policy to me and that was it. When I branched out and started teaching piano as well as voice all I had to do was sight-read something from a lesson book and answer a few questions about chord construction.

So, yeah. It really does help to make sure people at the store start getting to know you.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #4 
whiskandbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
First of all sorry if this isn't in the right forum section. Please move it if needed.
... it is preferable to apply (online / in person), on what to say to the interview (if it ever comes) to whatever you think its worthwhile.

Thanks for you replies and sorry for the humongous post.
Definitely apply in person if you can. When you go to hand in the application ask to speak to the manager if possible and intoduce yourself and give them the application. I always attach a typed copy of my resume, even if the same information is on the application, I feel it looks more professional. (and sometimes the resume has more info than what the app asks)

Always follow up a few weeks later. Call or go in person and ask about the status of the application.

For the interview, just be youself. I go through potential questions in my head and think of answers for them.

Not all petstores hire based on animal knowledge though (my work doesn't, though I'm trying to make it easier for employees to educate themselves)

Good luck!
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I applied at Petsmart about 4 months ago and I applied online because that's what they told me to do. I went in about a month later to speak to the manager. Again, I was told to come in to speak to the manager to make sure he knew I was interested. He told me that he recieved my application and would call me if he wanted an interview but unfortunately they never called me.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #6 
DiiQue

You also want to see what the local labor laws are in the country you are in... Making sure you have a valid visa that allows you to work in that particular country. With that in mind, as others have said, ask to speak to the manager and see if he has any jobs available or coming up. One of the things my wife and I noticed though is that in some countries we've been to, the businesses usually give preferrence to the locals, vice expats (unless of course, you have very special/unique skills and experience).
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote