Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #1 
itsonlybarney

Betta Tank for Work Desk

I'm contemplating getting a Betta for my desk at work. I don't have a lot of room, and was wondering whether the size I am contemplating would be suitable.

Tank: 7-10L tank
Filter: HOB (similar to clearview.php)
Plants: Single Anubias on DW

Questions I Have:
  • 1-2cm substrate suitable?
  • Can there be too much filtration?
  • Should I use media from my home tank to start the cycle? Or start the cycle from scratch?
itsonlybarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #2 
amyteee

I dont think the substrate matters, unless you have an undergravel filter, in which case smaller gravel is best, and layered 1.5-2 inches thick.

I wouldn't think there'd be such a thing as too much filtration. I have 2 powerful filters running in my biggest tank, for example. Just be careful with the intake, as it can damage fins on fancier bettas, and the outflow shouldnt be too vigorous although theres a thread on baffling the outflow somewhere in here :D.

And I -THINK- using already colonised media is the best way to cycle a new tank. I also used aged water from my 60 gallon, and half of my undergravel filter substrate was also colonised. Most of those quick start products are awful and not worth buying xD.

Last edited by amyteee; 09-16-2012 at 07:26 AM.
amyteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #3 
itsonlybarney

What other sort of filters would be suitable for a Betta tank?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #4 
megaredize

this tank would be nice http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aquar...-Desktop/10515 its 10L and has filtration built in. i have the 5 gallon version and i really like it. filtration seems like it will be good. you can actually lower the flow on the pump. i have mine on lowest and its a bit strong but betta seems okay. But yes definately put in old filter media from your established tank to the new filter no matter what tank and filter you end up getting. i do this everytime i get a new tank. works like a charm.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #5 
laynisample

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsonlybarney View Post
What other sort of filters would be suitable for a Betta tank?
I've heard sponge filters are the "best" for bettas. I baffled the intake tube and the outflow of my hang on back filters and they work just fine though. My fish don't get caught, the tanks stays clean, and they don't get pushed around.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

As always the bigger the tank the better. But a tank in that range would be suitable for a single male betta.

Gravel depth doesn't matter when you don't have rooted plants. Simply do it to your aesthetic pleasure since the anubias will be rooted to the driftwood.

But you can have too much filtration. There is no need to get a canister for a tank that size. It's simply overkill. Frankly, I wouldn't even recommend a filter for a tank of that size. Unless you get a rather large one there isn't going to be enough space for the BB to colonize and the tank either won't cycle or will be stuck in a partial cycle. The only thing the filter will be providing is flow which your long-finned male probably won't like in that small space. If you do want to have a filter, a sponge filter is the best filter for a betta. It's also less expensive than a power filter.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 09-17-2012 at 07:51 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #7 
Friendlyfishies

I hands down no questions asked am a HUGE fan of my new aqueon evolve 4 tanks...Ive only had them up and running for 1 full day now but im hooked. Deffinitely has too much flow tho! you have to baffle it with a sponge...dont use a heavy duty sponge it will blow the motor...I buy a peice of sponge at the petstore, they sell peices of sponge in the filter section. Use siscors to make a little hole and slip the sponge over like a sock or tie it on with an elastic...make sense? Just make sure the sponge has big porus holes like I said before it will blow the motor of the sponge is too thick, I use a thin peice of sponge and I kind of pull on to spread the porus holes out. Asside from the flow I LOVE the lighting, the look and the size. The evolve 8 is bigger but Id rather do water changes in the small tanks, just easier, but if you just have 1 betta at work you could go with the 8. I have 4 bettas so I like smaller tanks.
This is the tank...kind of pricey but in my opinion worth the money!
http://www.petco.com/product/117467/...arium-Kit.aspx
I dont recommend the evolve 2 though, these tanks run small...the 4 is a 3.2 gal, the 8 is more like a 6 gal so I couldnt imagine what the 2 is, maybe a 1 gal? Good luck with your choice!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #8 
acitydweller

A large bowl with an Hagen elite mini internal filter with lots of plants and Eco complete would be great. I've done top offs and partial water changes in the office without drawing much attention.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #9 
itsonlybarney

Looks like I'll have to visit my LFS to see what size of tanks they have, and what they recommend for filtration.

I'm now leaning back towards a sponge filter, but not sure that I am a fan of the look, unless I can hide it behind the DW & Anubias.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

You most certainly can hide them pretty well. Sponge filters aren't the most attractive pieces of equipment so that is what most people do with them.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote