Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #1 
Leeniex

Laying on bottom

Woke up to my Bandit laying on the bottom, coming up for air occasionally. He was fine yesterday.

He had his weekly water change yesterday, he's in a 2.5 gal heated to 80. Conditioner used like usual.

I lowered the water to help him breathe.

Wanted to change the water but will this stress him out even more? I don't think he's going to make it.

Other two had water changes at same time and are fine.

Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #2 
Jully

The water change could of stressed him out, what I would recommend is moving his tank to a dark room that's very quiet, the next day it should make him back to normal, I would add a bit of AQ salt too.

If it was from the water change, gently scoop him up with a cup & don't stress him out, if does stress out apply stress coat, or your water conditioner if it has a stress coat forumla like "Aqua +" it has a stress coat forumla, protects scales & it's a water conditioner. When you change his water, don't plop him him make sure you have enough of his old water. Pour him in a zip-lock bag after your done his water change, if he's in a cup try to see if you can float the cup, if you can't put the cup in the bag [with him in it] and move the cup to the corner and pour so he is in the corner & has enough water, then float him for 10 minutes, after 10 minutes scoop the tank water & pour it in the bag, and then let him sit for 15 minutes then release him, if he lays at the bottom AFTER the water change add AQ salt then make sure he is in a dark and quiet room, if he isn't bloated or you didn't feed him much try crushing up a pellet and giving him half of it if he doesn't want it, take it out. Then leave the room & let him relax & let the room be quiet.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

did you forget to add the conditioner?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #4 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
did you forget to add the conditioner?
No, he was the first wc I did yesterday and my kid makes sure I add it, lol. I did change his water today and have his tank about full, warm and in the dark. He's still hanging in there.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #5 
Leeniex

Bandit is back to normal. Guess something must have been wrong with the water when I did the change on Saturday. Weird.