Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #1 
FlyingFish47

I see the appeal now...

Ok I admit it, I never really "got" Bettas before. I didn't understand what was so 'fun' about them.

Well I'm in Thailand and I visited the famous 'fish market'. Let me tell you, most of it is pretty sad. There's some awesome shops with great setups. Others, not so much.

One of them had tons and tons of sad bettas in tiny cups and glass cubes. Most of them looked dead. Then....

I was looking at a bunch of bettas that looked, well, dead. Then all of a sudden, one of them perked up. He went from a boring black fish, to fluterring his fins and wiggling back and forth, showing off. He was a beautiful blue sapphire/turquoise iridescent colour. Amazing! The poor lil guy! I just wish I could have bought him and taken him home. But- I am flying back to home day after tomorrow, so no way I could :((

Poor little guy. Hopes omeone finds him.

Then I thought, I should have bought him, with a nice tank (very cheap here) and given him as a present to the hotel staff for the desk. I'm sure they would love him and have taken care of him. Wish I thought of it sooner! Oh well.

Question- are their gills meant to be black inside, or is that a sign of being very sick/ammonia poisoned???
FlyingFish47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Black gills itself or black dots. You need to remember the Siamese are the Betta experts and domesticated them and kept them for over 600 years. They tend to do lots of water changes plus in a tropical envirement they are heated. What did you expect 5 gallon tanks each.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #3 
megaredize

still no excuse why is it okay for them to leave bettas in cups and not us? lol its the same thing if i am willing to do daily water changes. but if i came here as a new person and said hey look at my fish and i had it in a cup and even though i said i was going to do daily changes i bet id still have half this forum yelling at me lol cause ive seen it on here. it is because ALL sellers have them in small cups, they have too many to keep them in bigger containers and yes the IAL helps but we can also get that here too
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Siamese breeders only keep them in cups a bit. They give them live food 1 to 2 daily water changes they have 600 years of expiearence. They give them live food acidic water and good grow out tanks bowl them at 8 weeks and keep them tempary. You can not beat a good siamese betta breeder at all. He was insulting a culture/way of life. There bowls are properly heated too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #5 
DragonFish

....I didn't sense anything insulting about the OPs post....I'm not really sure where you're getting that CB. O.o Regardless of what a fish is kept in and why...if it looks sad/dead it looks sad/dead. I understand how the big breeders in Thailand keep their fish and why, but that doesn't mean every breeder does it right....also the fish could have been stressed from their move to the market, or maybe even just not the most healthy of stock...
If I had been in the OPs situation, I probably would have felt bad for the poor little guy too.

Anywho, I'm sorry you couldn't get the little guy....it sounds as if he 'called' to you, and I understand how hard it can be to leave a betta behind when they call to you. :( I hope too that someone awesome picked him up and gave him a nice home.

xD Oh I never really understood the appeal either until I picked up my very first boy. I noticed just what you did, how he seemed to perk up and wiggle and show off when I got close, how he'd sit there and watch me when he could see me....
Once you've been given 'the look' from a betta, theres no going back. Lol xD
Maybe hunt around your local stores once you're home and get a little 5 gallon setup...? ;)

For a darker betta, black gills are normal. ;) Sometimes even lighter bettas will have black/black spots on their gills. From what I've experienced, its generally just part of their coloring.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #6 
FlyingFish47

Didn't mean to 'insult' the culture... but even though I'm a newbie I'm pretty sure you don't keep bettas piled on each other in tiny plastic bags full of water, tied up, not open to the air either... the ones I was looking at were the 'best' ones (i.e. actually moving... this was in a market stall, not a shop. The other fish were in tanks but still lots of sickly looking ones...

wheras others were proper, enclosed 'shops' with tanks, proper filtration, lights, very clean water, happy active fish etc etc.... one of the bettas in the place I mentioned shed half its fins when I bumped the bag by mistake.. surey that's not good???

Anyway, I am sure there are places that are professionals but just like a lot of things in a lot of places, there are people just out to make money and sell animals, that don't love them. You can kinda tell. Given that I also saw illegal selling of Australian native animals in one part of the market, I don't think ALL animal sellers here have the right intention....

Back to the topic, so I guess I probably will get a Betta at some point! lol....
Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #7 
FlyingFish47

ChoclateBetta, given your signature "bowls are for soup not fish" I'm sure you would have been sad to see fish in baggies not much bigger than themselves... trust me they were not getting "2 daily water changes" nor live food.... I was watching the stall for quite awhile when they were selling to other people and how they handled the fish....
Old 09-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #8 
LadyVictorian

That does sound sad and it's true, not everyone in that country cares for the animals. They are just trying to make money to feed their families. They may have domesticated them but that does not mean anything. Plenty of people worldwide have domesticated animals and still treat them like ****. I mean Mongolian cow farmers breed a lot of interesting races of cow and yet I watched my neighbor starve 35 animals to death including two horses, three cats, and seven dogs, a pig, six goats, 13 chicken, and 7 cows. Don't mean a damn thing. In Mexico they perfected the fighting bull and look how that works out for the bull...not a happy ending. is there anything humane or kind about that? And Passafino's GOOD GOD NO. Those horses are beaten by the people of their native country to insanity and death. Not every breeding has pure intentions. Just like here in the states or anywhere else in the world.

I think you were bit by the betta bug, looks like you'll have to go hunt for some lucky guy or girl now at the local pet shop. I'm afraid you are terminal, a betta is inevitable.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 09-17-2012 at 01:36 AM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #9 
DragonFish

It is indeed the sad reality.....yes, there are plenty of fabulous Thai breeders that breed amazingly beautiful fish and though they generally keep them in the smaller containers the fish are well cared for. However, that doesn't mean that every Thai breeder cares for their fish or treats them properly. Its really just like the rest of the world.....where there is good there is also bad. While there are great breeders in Thailand, there are also those just looking to make a quick few bucks.

Anywho, getting off the sad subject and on to a more positive note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I think you were bit by the betta bug, looks like you'll have to go hunt for some lucky guy or girl now at the local pet shop. I'm afraid you are terminal, a betta is inevitable.
I very much so agree. You now won't be able to walk into your local...or any for that matter...pet store without hunting the betta rack down if only to stare at their adorable faces and wiggle your finger at them to see who follows/flares at you.
It'll start with one, just one(or another in your case since you couldn't bring that first guy home), that gives you 'the eyes'....and before you know it your house will be full of tanks and bettas and your free time will be occupied with water changes and fishy play-time.
But its okay, here you are among friends who have all been bitten by the same bug. ;) We all understand. xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #10 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish47 View Post
ChoclateBetta, given your signature "bowls are for soup not fish" I'm sure you would have been sad to see fish in baggies not much bigger than themselves... trust me they were not getting "2 daily water changes" nor live food.... I was watching the stall for quite awhile when they were selling to other people and how they handled the fish....
Pay CB no attention. He has a plethora of conditions that apparently excuse his rudeness.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote