Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #11 
JadeAngel

Woah... why attack the op like that? I don't think there was anything insulting towards the culture in the op's post.

I also don't think that it matters if a country has been known for betta breeding for 60 years, 600 years, or 6 THOUSAND years. If a breeder doesn't care about the creatures they are selling, they won't take the appropriate measure to care for them (meaning water changes, in this case)

Even though I understand temporarily keeping them in small bowls due to space, it also makes me sad when I see bettas that are obviously effected by the small space in pet stores here in the usa (and I'm pretty sure there's nothing insulting the culture of the usa in that statement)

But really, buying them to "help" them because they look sad really doesn't do much good unless you wanted one anyway. That one will just be replaced with another sad little guy on their shelf. Though saving a really sick one who obviously isn't being treated, I'd say is a different story.

Last edited by JadeAngel; 09-17-2012 at 12:32 PM.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #12 
FlyingFish47

Happy to say that today I saw another betta seller in the same market, who had literally a wall full of bettas... it pretty much erupted into a gorgeous display of fin-fluttering as I walked up, all of them showing off and waving their fins! Not a dirty cup amongst them. While they were in glass cubes, they were bigger than usual and all the water in them was very clean, so I am certain they got fresh water each day.

The guy was telling me all about them and I felt bad I couldn't buy one from him! He had some beautiful half-moon in the most amazing colours! One was this really unusual fog-blue colour with coral pink fins... never seen that colour before (even though I've only been looking at them for a little while. He also had a bunch of trophies on a shelf for best fish at this and that show... so I guess he really cared about the fish and treating them right :)
FlyingFish47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #13 
LadyVictorian

I would love to import some of those fish but gah, it would be so expensive and I guess like with my rats and mice. Though I drool over mice from France I would rather save one from the feeder bin. Though I squee when I see those beautiful show rats in London I would rather go to the animal shelter and give a homeless rat a home. I guess it's the same with fish. Sure I could buy a beautiful show quality breeder quality fish but there are more out there who need a home and I'm a home. The breeder quality show quality are pretty much guaranteed good homes.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #14 
DragonFish

I have to say, I'm totally jealous....you're living my dream; In Thailand seeing all those AMAZING show-quality bettas in person. <3 I'd give just about anything to be there.
Its great that you came across one of the better breeders, there really are some just plain amazing Thailand breeders who produce some of the most stunning show-quality fish like.....ever. xD And obviously you don't get fish like that though poor care. I'd give an arm and a leg to call some of those fish mine.

I agree with LadyVictorian though. I'll look around Aquabid.com and see all the amazing bettas from Thailand and think about how wonderful it would be to own a betta like that......but seeing as I currently don't breed and probably won't be breeding for some time, I can't really justify spending so much on a show-quality fish with so much potential for breeding and showing just for him to be just a companion fish, especially with all the poor bettas sitting in cold dirty cups in the pet store. As beautiful as the imported fish are, I'd rather give a nice home to a betta that really needs one.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #15 
FlyingFish47

I know what you mean. Though it kinda killed me that the gorgeous two I were admiring were the princely sum of 300 Thai Baht each (about $8 or $9) *cries*
Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #16 
LadyVictorian

xD I spent like...$12 on Aquarius. Not including the $100 on his tank and supplies and still another good $200 estimated to redecorate his tank into an epic theme.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #17 
Xiuhcoati

No kidding...betta is the cheapest part. I spend at least $50 a week on my fish....not counting the gas to drive a zillion miles for a specific plant I know they'll love. <3

I don't think I'd be able to resist taking a few home
Xiuhcoati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #18 
LadyVictorian

But worth every penny I have to say and the price doesn't come CLOSE to what I have spent on my rats this year >.< Or what I'll spend in December when I get them their custom clubhouse rat tree. Like a cat tree for rats.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #19 
FlyingFish47

If I could have, I would have!! Was so tempted to take a couple with me but the problem is my luggage gets the going over and because of the liquids rule you couldn't ven bring them in a little cup just for the flight... that, and airliens are funny about live animals in the cabin lol. Though perhaps you could get away with it on one of the european ones that lets people have dogs in their bags :P

I'm looking into just what I need to keep a betta now. You were all right! There were some cute tanks in Thailand (small desktop glass ones, maybe 3 or 5 gal) for about $4 or so, but I wasn't sure on the size. Eventually I want to get a bigger tank than my 7 gal so I guess the 7gal could be a good home for one betta.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #20 
LadyVictorian

7gal is JUST fine for a single male betta. 10gal is also great, once I get my 10gal from home I might put my boy in there but I have to wait till Christmas to pick it up. It's in another state T.T

As for animals in the cabin I hear you. I was checking to see if my rats could fly out to MN with me in December because no way in HELL I am leaving them behind. Of course in order to do that they both have to get passports so I opted instead to drive to MN and have them in their carry cage next to me.