Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #11 
JadeAngel

I read it alot online but the few times I tell them something it does no good as they just come back with ignorant and rude remarks about how I don't know anything about bettas and they know how to take care of a fish and blah blah blah. Some people are just unwilling to learn anything.

I also have heard store workers telling people those things and when I can, I politely interrupt, or catch the person before they buy anything to let them know that NO... a 6" bowl is entirely not enough for a betta.

I actually have had a few people change their minds and tell me they would buy a 2 gallon tank instead, after I talked to them. 1 store worker said that said she was glad to learn that, since she got minimal training... and she said she'd be sure to tell future customers that (that made me really happy).

Though I've had bettas most of my life... when I was younger and they were really mom's bettas... they didn't have the most ideal conditions. They weren't in tiny betta bowls but they could have been better off. Mom insisted she did her research and new how to care for them and why not trust mom, right? (everyone in our family is an animal lover). They had a 1.6-2 gallon tank, glass bead substrate, a castle (that I still have and use) no filter, no light, no air stones, and no variety in their diet. Their water was changed 100% every time and the glass beads washed. Mom didn't know anything about good vs bad bacterias in a fish tank and all that.

When I got my OWN bettas I did excessive research and pretty much learned to ignore any advice she gave me. She tried to convince me that a filter, air stone, and heater were 100% unnecessary. Then when I showed her my purple/copper double tail betta she exclaimed that she didn't even KNOW bettas came in colors other than red and blue... or that they had any tails other than veil tails.

She doesn't have bettas anymore. She was talking about setting up a salt water tank but when I told her what was needed and how to do it, she changed her mind really fast (in my opinion, it's really nothing hard if you know what you're doing... but I guess she thought fish were no-maintnance rather than low-maintnance, lol)
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Filters and heater are not an essental if you can keep the water quality good and the water about 80F without flunctations. An air stone may help but filter can oxygenate the water too. Bettas live in areas like swamps which are low in oxygen. I read about a study where the labyrinth was removed and the fish were placed in oxygen rich water they died. So in short the filters and heaters themselves are not needed BUT THE TASK THEY PROVIDE IS. Just so there is no confusion I use filters and heaters as always. I had a pet store employee say when I asked him that the bowls are bad. He kept a Betta in a 10 gallon tank too. He also said it is chocolate Betta creepy right. It is so creepy we keep the same color fish in the same size fish. He said he saw the fish at the store and had to buy it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #13 
Pogthefish

When I first started keeping, I never changed pog's water because I thought the filter did that, and I changed the cartridge weekly because I thought I should.. gosh I was misinformed.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

My .5 makes a great temporary abode. but seeing the fish being so active in there just makes the tank feel like a tiny box of pent up energy. cant wait to adopt him out to someone with a bigger tank.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Do you run a fish rescue?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

not like moonshadow, no. But this one was one I couldn't just leave there.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I wish the best to your fish and the one you are rescuing. Do not worry A Betta can be stored in a .5 gallon for a month or two.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #18 
homegrown terror

we have a 1 gallon "homecoming" tank to we keep fish in either when their permanent home is in progress, to observe/treat if there might be a problem or during water changes, but that's the only any of our guys are ever in a tank that size.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wow you sound like you do that a lot and have good friends to help you.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #20 
ao
TFK Moderator

Thanks :) he's actually very happy in it, it's 10x bigger than his cut up poland spring bottle.