Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #1 
Jupiter

Would this be OK to use?

After searching for some crafting mesh with NO luck whatsoever (seriously...I've checked Walmart, Zellers, Michael's...etc.), I've been looking around for other materials I can use to make dividers with for my 20 G long.

I came across some shelf liner at Walmart! It's non-adhesive, looks like it's made out of clear plastic...seems quite durable too.

I'm just wondering, do you think it would be safe to use in the tank?

This is what it looks like:

Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

I don't think it will let any water flow through it...I got some of mine at walmart, they have a craft section at mine...and Michaels definitely has it..did you ask someone? Tell them it is used for needlepoint. I KNOW they have it. I'm thinking the shelf liner might not be very sturdy either...best of luck!
It would probably be safe to use, but you would have to have a filter and heater for each side because it is solid.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #3 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
I don't think it will let any water flow through it...I got some of mine at walmart, they have a craft section at mine...and Michaels definitely has it..did you ask someone? Tell them it is used for needlepoint. I KNOW they have it. I'm thinking the shelf liner might not be very sturdy either...best of luck!
It would probably be safe to use, but you would have to have a filter and heater for each side because it is solid.
No kidding. I'm planning to poke holes through it, that's a problem that can easily be solved.

Anyway, Michael's only had very small sheets.

I suppose I COULD buy like 10 of them and tie them together if I have to, but that would look far less aesthetically pleasing and it would take much more work than cutting & poking a few holes through this.

Of course, if it's something I HAVE to do because this would be unsafe for my fish, I'll definitely do it.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #4 
sarahspins

Try a different Michaels... the "big" sized sheets are around 10x13 or so. I just bought some yesterday.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #5 
Jupiter

We don't have a different Michael's. I'm actually surprised we have one to begin with. :/ I don't live in a big city.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #6 
katydidmischief

I have a sheet of it I can send you! And I've got the project slider bars if you need some of those. :)
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #7 
Jupiter

I appreciate it! I haven't looked for the sliders yet as I wasn't sure if this stuff would be OK to use or not, but if I can't find it at Staples I'll be sure to ask you.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #8 
MSG

The reason you use the crafting mesh is for water/heat circulation.

That clear plastic shelf liner roll designed for shelves CAN be used but you will need to poke holes in the material for it to distribute the water EVENLY.

• Without the holes you'll have a ton of dead spots in the tank & that's NOT a good thing because certain sections will be dirtier than the rest due to lack of filtration & will require more maintenance/siphoning.

I've considered that shelf liner as well, but it's just too flimsy to make nice even holes out of without a PUNCHER. Easiest way to perforate that material is with a heavy duty hole puncher that should cost $5-$10.

The holes you punch into the material NEED to be smaller than a AAA battery.

• But the biggest concern is the flexibility of the shelf liners. A persistent betta will be able to get through that with enough attempts.
  • Also one final thing I noticed about that material is that type of plastic turns WHITE & gets brittle when it's exposed to water for a long period of time. You may have to replace it every 6-12 months, but that's just a guess.
This product below I'm linking to is the stuff most people in this forum use to construct their own dividers, but keep in mind the price on this link is ONLINE only.

Fantastic price for a pack of 7 mesh though.

http://www.joann.com/darice-stiff-pl...9-C3FF3AA35067

The mesh is also definitely available @ Michaels, but call ahead first & get one of the employees to verify the item is in stock before you make the trek.

Last time I stopped by Michaels, I wasn't prepared at ALL and totally forgot about what I was SUPPOSED to buy. I ended checking out all their glass/crystal vases & their silk plants & ended up walking out with a giant bird house instead of materials to construct a divider for my phishies.

The craft mesh is LESS work, but ONLY if you get the right size.

Don't forget the report binders for structure. (You will have to ask an employee to show you the section & BOX it comes in. 50 pack of report binders)

Darice crafting mesh 13 1/4" x 22" is the one I bought @ Joann's

Katy..... nice gesture, but I think J needs more than 1 divider for a 20G long tank.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #9 
katydidmischief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Katy..... nice gesture, but I think J needs more than 1 divider for a 20G long tank.
Ah, I missed that part. Well, hopefully you can find them by you! But let me know if you need them--the Michaels by me is always stocked with them.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #10 
Jupiter

Thanks MSG, that was very helpful.

We do have a few hole punchers actually so that wouldn't be a problem.

The material seems quite durable although somewhat flimsy, of course I would be using the report binders to support the materal...I've made dividers before so I'm aware of the process, but this was when i was living in a bigger city and the standard materials were actually available.

If I used two layers of the material do you think a betta would still be able to pass through it? :s