Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #31 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Def Leppard over Queen? Really?!? I love me some oldies but I do have a few guilty pleasures from the late 90s and early 2000s. The only good things to come out of the 70s are Black Sabbath and The Ramones, i.e. heavy metal and punk, and RUSH. Long live the holy trinity of Lee, Lifeson, and Peart.

@RandytheBetta. You do know that most of the music you listen to now is influenced by the old music you dislike.
Haha, yesss! I love me some Rush too! <3
My dad plays the drums and has always idolized Neil Peart.

I think we can all agree that at some point in our lives, we've rocked out to some Phil Collins, In the Air Tonight...

Don't Stop Believin'?
Jack and Diane?
Cherry Pie?
The Allman Brothers?
Kansas?
Cream?

Or how bout some Hank Sr?
Patsy Kline?
Delta Dawn is by far the best old country song....
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #32 
TheCrabbyTabby

The only true heavy metal song I ever liked was Metallica's "Enter Sandman" song off of their Black album.

Other than that, no. Never liked heavy/death metal. Or grunge. Well, I take that back. I do like a bit of Nirvana.

But can we all agree that the greatest musician that is alive today is Weird Al Yanchovic? I mean, he has to work all areas/genres of music, and does it perfectly and humorously. It takes some serious talent to do that kind of thing. He is also clever because whatever hit song he parodies has to be a hit in itself due to it sounding just like the song its parodying. Clever way to stay popular, right?
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #33 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
the last three or four generations are unique in human history in that recorded sound means that, for the first time, music that's not made for and by the upper crust will be remembered. until the last century, the music that was carried on past its day was the music rich people went to the opera houses and concert halls in their powdered wigs to experience, whereas the folk anthems and tavern songs of the common man were largely lost to history. thanks to the advent of recording, though, all music, whether it be a massive orchestral piece, or three guys in a garage with a 4-track, has a chance to be a permanent part of history. we can argue till we're all white-haired and bent-backed over whether it's improved or destroyed music, but none of us can deny that it's a cultural paradigm shift that will forever move the world forward.
I remember many an interesting discussion in my graduate pop culture theory class about what is considered Culture and culture. For example, is jazz Culture or culture?
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #34 
bahamut285

OPPAN GANGNAM STYLE

░░░░░░▄█████▄░░░░░░░░
░░░░▄█▀▀░░░░▀█▄░░░░░░
░░░▄█▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄█░░░░░░
░░░██████▀██████░░░░░
░░██░░▀░▄██▀▀░░█░░░░░
░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░█▀░░░░░
░░░▄▄█▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄█▄▄░░░░
░░░██████▄░▄██████░░░
░░░███████▀▀██████▄░░
░░░░████████████▀▀▀░░
░░░▄████████████▄░░░░
░▄███████████████▄░░░
░▀█████████████████▄░
░▄██████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████
▀██████░░░░░░▄███████
░██████░░░░░███████▀░
░░█████░░░░░████▀░░░░

LOL No but seriously I agree with this thread. There are SOME "popular" bands/songs that I like, but I mostly was brought up on my parents 80s/70s music.

Jackson 5/Michael Jackson, Queen, The Eagles, Lynard Skynard, The Beatles, Barry White, ACDC, Electric Light Orchestra, and The Who

It's also the same way I feel about today's actors/actresses. The only remaining good ones are the ones that started on the stage, where they had to "do it live" rather than have a million camera cuts and a voice trainer/director standing next to them *cough*TomCruise*cough*....
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #35 
RandyTheBettaFish

This thread is becoming quite biased... I no longer feel like I can say my opinion... xD
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #36 
bahamut285

Why not? Just because your opinion is different means nothing. I like SOME new stuff but not all of it. What do you like, Randy? I forgot what you wrote (if you wrote anything)
Old 09-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #37 
RandyTheBettaFish

Well I like modern music, since it is mostly my generation that makes it. (Everyone who says we "ruined" music is being kinda offensive) But I do like some musicals and such.
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #38 
homegrown terror

like i said, there is still good music coming out today, you just can't usually find it by turning on a tv or radio. at least half of the bands i listen to came out within my generation, but i can guarantee that most of you wouldn't have heard of most of them (unless you're also into punk, folk punk and hard indie as i am)
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #39 
bahamut285

IMHO The only reason why I don't like most modern music is because the singer can't sing or needs autotune. For example you can't really compare the godly voice of Freddie Mercury with like...anybody, really. Also some of the lyrical content is either lame or non-existent. For example Skrillex's song: "My name is Skrillex".

I don't think it is RUINED but I know a lot of younger kids who have TRIED to listen to """older""" music have also enjoyed it alongside their own modern music.

For modern music...let's see...how modern is modern? I like Backstreet Boys, Linkin Park, Deadmau5, Bassnectar, Boyce Avenue, Ne-Yo, Chris Brown (his old stuff), Daughtry, uhhh? Who else is popular these days XD

I like a lot of music soundtracks from movies or video games because it's like...modern classical music that sounds amazing all the time.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #40 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
IMHO The only reason why I don't like most modern music is because the singer can't sing or needs autotune. For example you can't really compare the godly voice of Freddie Mercury with like...anybody, really. Also some of the lyrical content is either lame or non-existent. For example Skrillex's song: "My name is Skrillex".

I don't think it is RUINED but I know a lot of younger kids who have TRIED to listen to """older""" music have also enjoyed it alongside their own modern music.

For modern music...let's see...how modern is modern? I like Backstreet Boys, Linkin Park, Deadmau5, Bassnectar, Boyce Avenue, Ne-Yo, Chris Brown (his old stuff), Daughtry, uhhh? Who else is popular these days XD

I like a lot of music soundtracks from movies or video games because it's like...modern classical music that sounds amazing all the time.
Listening to Backstreet Boys is a guilty pleasure. >.>
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote