Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #11 
labloverl

I guess I'm going to try the big cycled tanks for a while and see how things go. I don't have all the tanks to separate the boys I have now anyways...
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #12 
thekoimaiden

I just skimmed everything, but I didn't see you mention live plants. Those are great for helping keep the water clean and your fish stress free. The only way I'll keep bettas anymore is in divided tanks. I've had almost no illnesses or losses since I started keeping bettas that way. My boys have been in their current tanks for 6 months and going on a year for the other tank.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #13 
labloverl

Thank you Izzy! I don't have a green thumb, and I don't have much trust in my ability to keep live plants. I have one small anubias nana. If anything, those are the only plants I'd keep. But really, how many would it take to benefit a 10 gallon tank(which it is currently in)?

I've had my 10 gallon up for 8-9 months, and the parasite problem I mentioned is the only thing that has happened so far... I've just divided my 5 gallon, so we'll see how that goes. I do love the divided tanks because they give you the option to have more fish! :)
Old 09-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #14 
thekoimaiden

Anubias are good betta-beds, but they aren't the greatest for keeping the water clean. Because 10 gal tanks are shallow, stem plants do well in them if you have the right kind of lights. They grow fast and take up nutrients fast. But floating plants are my favorite. They give the bettas shade and a place to nap. Some will also produce emergent growth and take CO2 from the atmosphere when there isn't enough in the water (my tanks have that problem because I use sponge filters).

Java fern is another plant I'm having success with. They don't grow fast, but the large leaves make wonderful hiding spots.

About why you can't grow plants. Do you know how hard your tap water is?
Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #15 
labloverl

I'm not sure on the water, but it's the other factors that I would mess up. For instance, I don't have a set light schedule, so I would either give the plants too much or too little light. Then there's the fertilizers some need, which I know nothing about. I don't like plants that dirty up the water either. Can you see why anubias were recommended for me? LOL! The tanks also have gravel in them, so when I vacuumed, I'd be afraid of messing them up. I like the ones that can float. That is what my anubias is doing. I like the looks of the stringy moss (java moss) but all the tanks I see it in look dirty.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #16 
thekoimaiden

Plants are actually a lot easier than most people think. My favorite floater as well as java fern don't need ferts (stem plants do for good growth). All you need to make sure you have is the right light (which can be found at Petco) and a timer for said light (really helps to prevent algae).

If you want to fertilize, it's really easy to do and explain. For the basic plants that I'm describing you need one liquid fert. Seachem Comprehensive is what I use. You only need to worry about root tabs and other specialty ferts if you get sensitive plants. So once a week about 24 hours after a water change, squirt some in the tank.

I actually no longer gravel vac my tanks with plants. The fish poop is great plant fertilizer. That way I also don't have to worry about disturbing the roots.

Really, basic plants are quite easy. It's when you get into high lighting/CO2 situations that things get more difficult. But that is also the kind of stuff needed to create those beautiful aquascapes you see online.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #17 
labloverl

Wow, Izzy, no one's really explained plants that simply to me before. You've inspired me to give them a try!!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #18 
thekoimaiden

Try them!! They add a whole new life to your tanks! Just remember that plants (like fish) go through an adjustment period. They won't look amazing right away. But give them about a month and you will be amazed at what they can do. I like talking pictures of my tanks. One immediately after I plant them and then another one a month or two from that. It's a good gauge of growth. You'll be amazed at what happens.