Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #1 
Meggie6347

Angry New Rescue! *Horrible*

Hey everyone! So some of you may know that I rescued a king male in bad shape a few weeks ago (sorry, I haven't updated that in a long time, I will try to do so soon)...anyway, my mom had to go to petco today, and I convinced her to let me come with her with the promise of no new bettas....

Well, after looking at the probably 60-70+ bettas there, while my mom was getting our dog's medicine, my sister and I felt so horrible...we wanted to rescue some of them so badly. Some of them were in really bad shape, some were dead, some just sickly ones that I recognized from months ago...still in the same tiny cup (the king bettas).. I wasn't going to try to get one of the kings as we already have so many...any my tanks have now started to invade my mom's kitchen...

Then we saw the baby bettas. Two were dead. There were only about 7, but one in particular looked way worse than the rest. It had such a pale body you could see straight through it. It's spine was bent. The cup was filthy, it could barely swim. It was extremely lethargic and skinny and unhealthy...about the size of my fingernail, it's eyes were way to big for it's head. My mom saw it and she said "we can't do another tank." I told her "I know...I was just thinking...never mind." she asked me what and I said what if we could rescue it, we could just use a Tupperware or something and heat it, put sand and plants in...if I couldn't save it at least I could give it somewhere nice to die so it could die in comfort...and that if it recovered and grew up, I would find a good home for it (I already had a few in mind)....

I then set her back down because I began to rethink it...it wasn't fair for my mom for me to get ANOTHER one. I just rescued one a month ago. I started walking out and my mom said "what are you doing, aren't you going to get her?" I told her I wasn't even going to go there. I promised no more bettas with this trip, and bettas can be expensive and take up room. She pouted her lip and said "but it's just a BABY........" well, she convinced me to try to save her.

All I have right now is a little 1/3 gallon betta keeper, but it is better than what she was in. It is heated, I put some sand and plants in there for her, created a little rock cave. I think that having such a small "tank" might be better for her anyway. It will help be able to clean it easier, feed her easier (If she eats), heat it easier, and most of all it won't overwhelm her and it will allow her to get air a bit easier considering the fact she can barely swim.

If she lives, she will definitely not be staying in there, I just couldn't get another tank so soon and didn't want to buy one and have her die anyway. Plus, she is so tiny, the betta keeper looks so big for her.

I will try to post pictures in the morning if she is still alive...i will update you on if she makes it...she is just kind of laying on the sand right now...I really don't have high hopes for her. I just couldn't leave her there and honestly, I don't think my mom would have let me. Nor will she let me find her a new home if she makes it, I don't think.

Please, if anyone can offer me any suggestions for her! I really really need some right now! Please keep her in your prayers for her to live, and if she doesn't make it that she dies in comfort!

Thanks for reading and any help you can offer!
Meg
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #2 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie6347 View Post
Hey everyone! So some of you may know that I rescued a king male in bad shape a few weeks ago (sorry, I haven't updated that in a long time, I will try to do so soon)...anyway, my mom had to go to petco today, and I convinced her to let me come with her with the promise of no new bettas....

Well, after looking at the probably 60-70+ bettas there, while my mom was getting our dog's medicine, my sister and I felt so horrible...we wanted to rescue some of them so badly. Some of them were in really bad shape, some were dead, some just sickly ones that I recognized from months ago...still in the same tiny cup (the king bettas).. I wasn't going to try to get one of the kings as we already have so many...any my tanks have now started to invade my mom's kitchen...

Then we saw the baby bettas. Two were dead. There were only about 7, but one in particular looked way worse than the rest. It had such a pale body you could see straight through it. It's spine was bent. The cup was filthy, it could barely swim. It was extremely lethargic and skinny and unhealthy...about the size of my fingernail, it's eyes were way to big for it's head. My mom saw it and she said "we can't do another tank." I told her "I know...I was just thinking...never mind." she asked me what and I said what if we could rescue it, we could just use a Tupperware or something and heat it, put sand and plants in...if I couldn't save it at least I could give it somewhere nice to die so it could die in comfort...and that if it recovered and grew up, I would find a good home for it (I already had a few in mind)....

I then set her back down because I began to rethink it...it wasn't fair for my mom for me to get ANOTHER one. I just rescued one a month ago. I started walking out and my mom said "what are you doing, aren't you going to get her?" I told her I wasn't even going to go there. I promised no more bettas with this trip, and bettas can be expensive and take up room. She pouted her lip and said "but it's just a BABY........" well, she convinced me to try to save her.

All I have right now is a little 1/3 gallon betta keeper, but it is better than what she was in. It is heated, I put some sand and plants in there for her, created a little rock cave. I think that having such a small "tank" might be better for her anyway. It will help be able to clean it easier, feed her easier (If she eats), heat it easier, and most of all it won't overwhelm her and it will allow her to get air a bit easier considering the fact she can barely swim.

If she lives, she will definitely not be staying in there, I just couldn't get another tank so soon and didn't want to buy one and have her die anyway. Plus, she is so tiny, the betta keeper looks so big for her.

I will try to post pictures in the morning if she is still alive...i will update you on if she makes it...she is just kind of laying on the sand right now...I really don't have high hopes for her. I just couldn't leave her there and honestly, I don't think my mom would have let me. Nor will she let me find her a new home if she makes it, I don't think.

Please, if anyone can offer me any suggestions for her! I really really need some right now! Please keep her in your prayers for her to live, and if she doesn't make it that she dies in comfort!

Thanks for reading and any help you can offer!
Meg
Aw!

*sending positive energy to your rescued baby betta*
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #3 
SurprisinglyFemale

You have all my good vibes too!
SurprisinglyFemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #4 
CandiceMM

Sounds like you are already doing the right stuff for her. The only thing I could add would be high protein foods. Good luck!
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #5 
Meggie6347

Thank you all! And Candice, that was one thing I had a question about! The only food I have is bloodworms, brine shrimp (frozen), and pellets. Unfortunately, I really can't get anything else right now. What should I feed her?

Thanks,
Meg
Old 09-17-2012, 06:17 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

How small is she? I have noticed some are really tiny and others are more like teenagers.

Quote:
The cup was filthy, it could barely swim. It was extremely lethargic and skinny and unhealthy...about the size of my fingernail, it's eyes were way to big for it's head
Out of 4 babies I tried to save, only 1 survived. Anyways, Is she eating? If so, that is a plus. Adults can go without food for weeks but the babies NEED the nutrition to develop properly. The best thing to do right now is keep the water warm and clean and try to get it to eat something. There really isn't much to do other then wait and see what happens. Maybe some aquarium salt may help...just a small pinch of it. I'm not sure how well babies can tolerate salt

If they are not too big for her, frozen bloodworms are good. If she is really small, you can use hiraki first bites. Those things are super tiny - like really fine grains of sand but I think bloodworms would be better if she can eat them

for food - frozen blood worms if she can eat them. if not get something like hiraki first bites. Those pellets are super tiny - like fine grains of sand.

If the cup was dirty, there was probably ammonia buildup in the cup and supposedly Amquel plus can help with ammonia poisioning or so I have been told.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-17-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #7 
KevinPham123

Hope it lives!
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #8 
Meggie6347

Thank you! And she is extremely tiny Tiki. I know what you mean by 'teenagers' and she is definitely not one of them. She actually reminds me of my guppy fry.

I don't think she would be able to eat bloodworms, but I will try to cut them in half for her. I am going to try to feed her this morning, hopefully she will eat. I just checked on her and she is not looking good. She is just resting on the plants or ground and doesn't really swim unless I move the container.

What should my water change schedule be?

The plants I have in there are frogbit, bacopa carolina, and a small bit of java fern.

When I say her cup was dirty, it wasn't as dirty as some i have seen on here. It just had a ton of floating bits of food and poop in it. Still not healthy, but not as bad as it could have been.

Thanks,
Meg
Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #9 
GreyHounD

Such a touching story!

Congrats to your MOM! :)
GreyHounD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #10 
Meggie6347

Thank you, GreyhounD! The last rescue I got, I was just planning on getting him and buying a second hand tank off of craigslist, then once he healed just bringing him into my science class as kind of a class pet (because my teacher is awesome). But my mom took one look at him, disappeared for a few minutes, came back with a brand new 5.5 gallon tank and told me to grab some sand, a heater, and some live plants and wood. And now she won't let me even consider me taking him out of the house. Hehe

Okay so I just snapped a few pictures of baby. Here she/he is in her tiny improvised little setup.......sorry for the bad pictures, I really didn't want to move her.