Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #11 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the forum sounds like your doing a great job ! I just cycled my first tank a 5 gallon doing a fish in cycle, its great you have the testing kit and are keeping up with water changes I hope it all goes smoothly for you and just ask if you need any help or have questions there are many awesome people here to help !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If your tapwater is as high as 0.5ppm, you'll want to use a conditioner that reduces ammonia by turning it into harmless ammonium.

Many of us use Seachem Prime which does that. Other brands do also, but I'm not sure which ones. What are you using?

A few drops a day will do it. It works for about 48hours. Your test will still read 0.5ppm, but that will be ammonium.

It'll be nice, when the cycled and the ammonia test reads yellow, to know that your fish's water is cleaner than yours. ;-}
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #13 
sunstar93

I've heard of people using Prime and I've been looking for it everywhere but so far I've been unsuccessful. I almost bought some AIP "Ammo-Lock" but then thought that I'd rather save my money and go with a brand that others have tried and had good results with. Unless of course that's a good brand too. (I feel like I go out almost every day after class to get stuff for him that he needs!)
Honestly I'd rather have his water cleaner b/c I can control if I drink out of the tap or not. He really doesn't have a choice!

Also, I know this probably goes under the "diseases" threads but I figure since this one is pretty active... So yesterday I got some ghost shrimp and I got one of those little packets of the small algea tablets. I broke it in half and put it in the tank and today Leo was doing fine. Well tonight he has a really distended stomach and a little bit ago was actually "sinking" when one of the shrimp was crawling on him (weird)-but then he started swimming again. Could this be because he ate the algae tablet? (I read that sometimes that can happen when they do that.) He's still pretty active but I am a constant worrier and hoping it's not something more serious. But he doesn't have clamped fins and from the top looking down there's not "pinecone" scales or anything. Now I feel really dumb for putting that tablet in if that's what's causing him to look like that. He's not eating the ghost shrimp, which was my first thought but they are all there. I feel so bad!! If anyone could help...I'll really appreciate it.
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #14 
sunstar93

(just wanted to thank you guys again for all the advice on my tank!)

Last edited by sunstar93; 09-19-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #15 
sunstar93

Another quick question: would feeding him a small slice of a pea help? Just wondering! (even though he looks okay from the top I'm still tryin to figure it out)
Old 09-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Vegetable matter like algae wafers and peas are not good for carnivores---actually, insectivores. Your first step should be to fast him for a day or two to see if he recovers his appetite and energy. He might get hungry enough to eat the shrimp, which are good for him. ;-}

Frozen daphnia or frozen brine shrimp are considered roughage/fiber to enhance digestion.
Frozen is much better than freeze-dried unless that's all you can get.

A varied diet, consisting of a couple types of good-quality pellets (protein source as the first ingredient) plus bloodworms every few days and occasionally daphnia, is optimum, but you don't have to get carried away.

In any case, as with all pets, it's good husbandry to monitor his feces.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #17 
davyj0427

Could he have stuffed himself on some of the algae wafer? Betta's are carnivores but he may have tried it and liked it. A slice of pea every so often wont hurt him, but if your looking to clean him out and give him a treat grab some daphnia. You can find it in the frozen fish food area of your big chain stores.
davyj0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #18 
Pogthefish

NO that is a myth, peas ARE bad for bettas.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #19 
sunstar93

I think he basically stuffed himself on the algae but today he looks a little better, not like he's going to explode. I was asking about the pea because I had read about other people using it but I wasn't sure because I know that veggie matter isn't good for them. I plan on fasting him for at least today. I do try to vary his diet but maybe he did like it! I know he liked it better than the shrimp..
He is doing a little better today though- I always freak out and worry anytime there is something wrong with one of my pets. I will go out (again) and try to find some daphnia or the frozen shrimp.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #20 
Pogthefish

Pog always stuffs himself on alae wafers, but every once in awhile, I let him because he loves it ^_^ he doesn't get constipated very easily.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote