Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #1 
tisburylane

Question Strange... thing... on face?

For once I'm not asking about my fish. This time, it's about my mom's. Motown has these things on his face. They look like rubs or cuts or something, although I can't tell what they actually are, but they are even on both sides of his face. One set is right next to his gills, the other is right behind his eye. I can't figure out if this is how it naturally is, if there's something's wrong with his face, or what. I can't tell if it's something growing or peeling, but it contrasts so much with his dark blue coloring. I don't have a picture because I am at the dorm and he lives at home.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 or 2.5gal
What temperature is your tank? No idea, but I assume in a reasonable range.
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? No, a lamp does well enough.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no one

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? No idea. Two or three times a day, probs.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Seems like it's every week or two, but I could be wrong.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? A pretty good deal, I think, maybe 50%?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Typical water cleanser treatment stuff.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No, no idea.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I'm pretty sure those markings were there when we got him, but I could be wrong.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not changed as far as I can tell.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? It always kind of worries me. A few weeks?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, because I don't know what it is.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea.
tisburylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

Try bumping up the water changes to twice a week. It could be something he did to himself and the wounds are having a bit-o-trouble healing, since ammonia builds up quickly in tanks ranging from 1-3 gallons.

But a picture would be able to let us know for sure if it is something that must have your boy put onto a treatment. :3
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cut, face, head