Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Planted 5 gal Checklist

So during the course of this year, I might try experimenting a planted 5 gal.
However, I might just make the 3 gal planted.

Either way, can some EXPERIENCED answer this for me?

I mean experienced as in someone who has done this already are is 100% sure in what to do.

My 5 gal is divided, and my 3 gal has my plakat in it.

I would like to know what I will need to buy for this project. Thanks!
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It really depends on specie. Plant Fertilizer, Growing Area, Light, and CO2. The needs very from species. You might have to add a cheap CO2 adding machine. PH affects it so tell us PH. Tell us the plants you want to add. I have like 30 plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

...I kinda need to know the PH.
What light to get.
What dirt to get
What plants for what, etc.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Like I said depends on plant species do you have access to natural lighting.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #5 
toad

Are you going to do an NPT? My tanks are planted, but they aren't NPT's (sadly!).

My favorite plants currently are anubias, wisteria, java fern, and of course, Marimo balls :)

All of those plants will grow happily for you without soil. As far as rooted plants that are good for NPTs, I'd ask OFL :) She's the NPT master.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Marimo is an algae so no algae killers. Marimo is good at competing with Marimo.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Are you going to do an NPT? My tanks are planted, but they aren't NPT's (sadly!).

My favorite plants currently are anubias, wisteria, java fern, and of course, Marimo balls :)

All of those plants will grow happily for you without soil. As far as rooted plants that are good for NPTs, I'd ask OFL :) She's the NPT master.
What is the difference between a planted and NPT? I see it so often but it's never defined.
I currently have hornwort, some other plant, and duckweed on the way. My 5 gallon is the heaviest planted at the moment because they love it the most.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #8 
toad

An NPT is a tank planted using Dr. Walstad's method - basically, the base layer is organic potting soil, and then you put a substrate cap over it, like sand or gravel.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #9 
Sundancex

A lot depends on what plant species you want to get. Plants like java fern and marimo balls can survive in nearly any tank, while a plant like baby tears will die without high light and CO2.

For my "basic" lowtech planted tank, I bought the following...

Fluval Ebi tank-this came with 1 bag of Fluval Shrimp Substrate (enriched for plant growth), 1 Fluval canister filter, 1 Fluval 13 watt light (designed for plant growth), and some shrimp supplements. The shrimp supplements were pretty useless to me, so I set them aside, and used everything else.

I also bought a second bag of substrate and a second light for my initial tank set up.

I bought Seachem Prime (water conditioner), and ferts Seachem Flourish, Excel, and Iron to dose into my tank.

For plants, my first shipment was microsword and java moss. I killed both. My next shipment was water sprite, duckweed, green and purple camboba, anacharis, and some sort of unknown plant. Everything except the anacharis is still alive. My 3rd shipment was Cryptocoryne retrospiralis (2 of 3 stems died), Cryptocoryne parva (still alive and healthy, although VERY slow growing), Cryptocoryne wendtii (died), a dwarf lily bulb (VERY hardy and fast growing), and Dwarf Hairgrass (alive and looking semi-healthy). My 4th shipment I bought more DHG and more purple camboba, all of which is alive...for now.

Hope this helps! FWIW, the plants I picked are not really what one would consider the easiest plants to grow, especially the DHG, but I have a vision, and I'm sticking to it.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #10 
JackisLost

i recommend trying any anubias and trying to get a hold of x-mas or flame moss instead of java. java is cheap and you can get anywhere but they grow stringy and because of that it's not desired as much. also, try frogbit and dwarf water lettuce with the pre-mentioned plants
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote