Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #11 
Kim

I had one betta in particular, a rescue, who I owned for several years. One day I started to notice his downward decline, and after trying multiple courses of action to diagnose and treat his problem, I eventually became resigned that he was simply old and dying. On his last day I was at home and would come sit by the tank frequently, knowing that I didn't have much time left with him. Each time he spotted me he would slowly and painstakingly float over the the corner nearest to where I sat (regardless of how far it was from where he was originally situated) and settle down as close to me as possible, just looking at me. At this point he hadn't been eating for probably a day and a half, so I know he wasn't simply associating me with food- he obviously wanted to be near me for other reasons. It was absolutely heartbreaking, but certainly was proof to me that he- dare I say it without being accused of anthropomorphizing- was capable of having feelings in some way. He certainly wouldn't have exhibited this behavior if he was only motivated by food, shelter, and reproduction as some assert about animals, and fish in particular. It truly was an experience I will never forget.

Do fish have memories? Of course they do. Although they definitely don't have cognitive capabilities as advanced as humans, it is a mystery to me why people are so set on trying to make this great divide between animals and people, especially when we all share the same fundamental biology. Fish neural tissue is composed of the same aggregate of cells as human neural tissue, nerve impulses are resultant of the same fundamental process in all animals, and even aspects such as immune function and cellular respiration are nearly identical throughout the animal kingdom, humans included. We are all the same, just at different levels of development...finding that fish have memories that span several months to half a year does not surprise me.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #12 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I had one betta in particular, a rescue, who I owned for several years. One day I started to notice his downward decline, and after trying multiple courses of action to diagnose and treat his problem, I eventually became resigned that he was simply old and dying. On his last day I was at home and would come sit by the tank frequently, knowing that I didn't have much time left with him. Each time he spotted me he would slowly and painstakingly float over the the corner nearest to where I sat (regardless of how far it was from where he was originally situated) and settle down as close to me as possible, just looking at me. At this point he hadn't been eating for probably a day and a half, so I know he wasn't simply associating me with food- he obviously wanted to be near me for other reasons. It was absolutely heartbreaking, but certainly was proof to me that he- dare I say it without being accused of anthropomorphizing- was capable of having feelings in some way. He certainly wouldn't have exhibited this behavior if he was only motivated by food, shelter, and reproduction as some assert about animals, and fish in particular. It truly was an experience I will never forget.

Do fish have memories? Of course they do. Although they definitely don't have cognitive capabilities as advanced as humans, it is a mystery to me why people are so set on trying to make this great divide between animals and people, especially when we all share the same fundamental biology. Fish neural tissue is composed of the same aggregate of cells as human neural tissue, nerve impulses are resultant of the same fundamental process in all animals, and even aspects such as immune function and cellular respiration are nearly identical throughout the animal kingdom, humans included. We are all the same, just at different levels of development...finding that fish have memories that span several months to half a year does not surprise me.
That's a very touching story and I mean it, sorry for losing him.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #13 
LadyVictorian

I believe it, Aquarius likes to watch me play video games and watch movies with me. I'm sure to him it's more entertaining watching my reaction to them, especially the games. When I head towards the tv and turn it on no matter what he will flip around and swim to the front of his tanks or perch on the plant closest to me and watch me play. It has nothing to do with food either but he still does it and every time I look back at him while on my bed he will shake his tail, or if I talk to him he will do the same. Yet if others look at him or talk to him he could care less. He obviously remembers my face and voice and finds they are very important. Dare I say like Kim i hate to be blamed for anthropomorphising my fish but hell Aquarius is like my little buddy and like dog who can't follow me around the house. He listens when I talk and he comes when i call. He gets excited to see me and enjoys 'hanging' out with me when I play games, watch movies, or sit by his tank to listen to music. He even flares when I pay attention to my rats and ignore him xD or darts back and forth in his tank all uppity about it.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #14 
rosy delta

I have a tank at the bottom of the stairs, and feed first thing after i get up. no matter what time i get up, when my betta sees me at the bottom of the stairs, he shoots to his feeding corner and stays there till he gets fed. ( makes me feel awful on no feed days)
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #15 
Xiuhcoati

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosy delta View Post
I have a tank at the bottom of the stairs, and feed first thing after i get up. no matter what time i get up, when my betta sees me at the bottom of the stairs, he shoots to his feeding corner and stays there till he gets fed. ( makes me feel awful on no feed days)
"yay it's feeding time!! ... Mom? Hello? Forgot something?"
Xiuhcoati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #16 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiuhcoati View Post
"yay it's feeding time!! ... Mom? Hello? Forgot something?"
haha
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote