Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #1 
DanielleB

Upgraded to a 10 Gal -New Filter Question

I just upgraded my 5 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank. It has a new Penguin 100 filter and a new small pump run sponge filter. I used probably about 4 gallons of the water from the old tank into the new one and topped it off with new treated water. Since a lot of the old water was cycled, and the filters in the new tank are new, will the fish be alright ? Should I do water changes every day? I checked the water after I filled the tank & the readings were 0 for Ammonia, Nitrites, nitrates and the PH was 7.0 Will nitrites show up since the filters are new, or will the water maintain it's good levels?
DanielleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You'd have to cycle your filters again if you didn't transfer the media of the old filter to the new. Why do you have 2 exactly? The cycled water is just dechlorinated water that has 0 ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. It won't stay like that forever. It won't help your cycle at all really. Do you use the substrate in the 5 gallon for this tank?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #3 
DanielleB

I thought it would be better with a regular filter and a small sponge filter to be on the safe side. I used some of the substrate from the old tank. So should I just keep an eye on the water everyday & change some if I get any readings of ammonia, nitrites/nitrates? Will my little guy be ok in this?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #4 
inuudo

The bacteria lives in the filter and on the surfaces of substrate and tank decor, so nothing transferred with your water. If the 5 gallon was cycled, you could have maintained the cycle in the new tank by using the old filter media in the new filter.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #5 
DanielleB

I did transfer the decor and all the live plants and fake plants.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

That'll help. But inuudo's right, you missed an opportunity.

Just keep checking your water every few days and keep the ammonia (and, eventually the nitrite) under 0.25ppm.

This tank will cycle faster than than the first one did.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote