Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #1 
Crash

Question Live plants that require minimal care?

Hello everyone!

I just upgraded from a 5 gal tank to a 10 gal a few days ago, and it's a bit bare right now with my 3 lonely silk plants. I was wondering if there are any live plants that could be planted into gravel that can just be left alone to thrive with minimal effort? I have some water lettuce and a single moss ball in terms of living plants. The tank houses my betta, Pastel, so obviously the plants must be betta-safe :P Any suggestions would be greatly appropriated!
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #2 
Soriel

I say... Dwarf Lily

Soriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #3 
Aquastar

These can have no substrate as well:

Java fern
Java moss
Anubias

Other that prefer subsrate:

Water wisterias
Cabomba
Hornwort
Aquastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #4 
Crash

Ah! looks beautiful, I love the color! Perhaps I shall look into getting some :)

Thank you!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:30 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

I've found mayaca fluviatilis and watersprite to be two of the easiest plants I've ever grown. I have both plants in all of my tanks and they seem to thrive on neglect.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:01 AM   #6 
NickAu

Watersprite is excellent as a floating plant,My snails love munching on it, But it grows so fast qho cares lol.
Now I dont know how true this is.

Quote:
Its fast growth and nutrient consumption allows it to directly compete with algae, and at the very least, it will slow any algae growth in the tank.
http://aquariumtidings.com/water-sprite/

I have never had algae problems in my tanks, and I run my lights 10 hours a day.
NickAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:08 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

I definitely don't think it's 100% true that it will out-compete algae, as my tanks are full of both algae and watersprite.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:14 AM   #8 
aselvarial

guppy grass. I also love cabomba, if its legal in your state. I run tank lights 10-12 hours a day, and got so little algae I had to rehome my nerite with my dad. I have a lot of guppy grass, jungle val, cabomba, and lots of java moss. They pretty much require nothing but twice monthly trims. That's it. I rarely fertilize (though I have it) and really do nothing but trim.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #9 
Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselvarial View Post
guppy grass. I also love cabomba, if its legal in your state. I run tank lights 10-12 hours a day, and got so little algae I had to rehome my nerite with my dad. I have a lot of guppy grass, jungle val, cabomba, and lots of java moss. They pretty much require nothing but twice monthly trims. That's it. I rarely fertilize (though I have it) and really do nothing but trim.
I didn't even think of guppy grass and it's one of those plants that really fleshes out a planted tank in my opinion. Plus I hear it grows really well! For java moss, I have a gorgeous Mopani wood piece in my tank, and I just ordered another one since I liked it so much How do you get java moss to attach to driftwood? Can you just use sewing thread to tie it down until it attaches? Or is there a better way?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #10 
themamaj

The dwarf lily above is gorgeous! I may have to look for one of those too. Cabomba and water sprite are two really easy plants. They grow very quickly so easy to replant and fill in. I have water sprite that is used at a floater and some planted. Both do well and the fish enjoy hiding in them. Duckweed, salvinia are great floater plants. Though once you have a little duckweed you will always have a little duckweed. It just keeps on giving! My bettas love it. There are a number of different types of mosses that are interesting and easy too.
themamaj is offline   Reply With Quote