Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #1 
hoofbeats

Mystery plant ID's + a lighting question

Hi there! I'm looking for some input on a couple plant questions for one of my betta tanks. First, I bought 2 mystery unlabeled stem plants from the pet store a couple weeks ago and was curious if anybody has ideas what they might be. Photos are attached. I have a couple guesses based on Google, but they're just that - guesses!

Second, I'm hoping to pick up a 20 long during Petco's $1 per gallon sale to potentially divide and consolidate a couple of my smaller betta tanks. I'd like to tear down my planted 10g and use those plants in the new tank, so I'm looking into lighting options. I have pretty typical low-ish light plants: java fern, anubias, anacharis, wisteria, pennywort, various crypts, some sort of lily (from those plant bulb packs), an amazon sword, and the two mystery plants I mentioned above. I've seen a couple Finnex LED fixtures recommended on here before, and was looking at the Stingray as an option. Would that be suitable for low-light plants like I have? If not, any other recommendations? I'm open to the traditional style black lighted hoods too, I suppose, but I think the LEDs look pretty slick and might be fun to try out.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Attached Images

hoofbeats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #2 
Tress

One on the right looks like Moneywort. No clue as to the other lol sorry.

I'm sure Russell will chime in with lighting suggestions ;)
Tress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

First one is Rotala Indica and I agree the second is Moneywort.

As for the lighting, yes the Stingray will be enough for lowlight plants on the 20 long. I have the Finnex Planted Plus on my 20 long and I can grow almost anything on that tank, the Stringray doesn't have the red lights that the Planted+ has so you just won't be able to do anything with high lighting is all ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #4 
Tress

Ah so it was rotala. I was staring at mine in the tank next to me and saying "idk... it looks bigger than mine so maybe its something else."
Tress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #5 
hoofbeats

Thanks Tress and Lil! I sort of suspected the first one was rotala, but then the store had the moneywort in a tank labeled rotala so then I was stumped, lol.

I saw somebody mention the Planted+ on here a little while ago and thought that one looked nice too, but the Stingray definitely costs less...if that will suffice for the low-light plants, I could save the money (and probably buy more plants with it, haha).
hoofbeats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha yeah, stores can be so confusing at times >.< Half the stores down here don't even label them, they just say "Plant"

Yeah, I run two Planted+ lights, one over my 20 and one over my 29. Both suffice, my 29 is 18 inches high so I can grow most medium light plants and of course low lights as well. The 20 is not so high so, because the light is closer, I can grow light plants in there, or at least most of them.

RussellTheShihTzu does have the Stringray though so you can PM her to find her thoughts on it. I believe she's upgrading IIRC? Don't quote me on that though lol
Old 12-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #7 
Canis

Are you sure the first one isn't ammannia? Both look exactly like what I got from petco a couple of months ago. Rotala indica looks like this:
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh poo, yeah, it looks more like Rotala Rotundifolia. But I do know that Rotala Indica can change a bit depending on the lighting situation just like most plants do and it will have slightly longer leaves when under low light conditions.