Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #1 
FinnDublynn

Going to go replace my Non Aquatic plants from Petco....

Wanted to make sure the other ones I picked up the other day are aquatic plants, too. I forgot to check the spike tag thing for names but i was hoping someone on here would be able to identify at least aquatic or non aquatic...

I wanna make sure my babies have nice tanks with plants that WON'T start to rot in the tank. As it is, I already realized I'm killing all the poor plants.. I'm using Flourish, Flourish Excel and Flourish Trace in my tanks to help them grow and they were STILL dying... that's when it dawned on me... my water is well water. You'd think that would mean it would be GREAT for plants!!.... Its also filtered and softened before it makes it to my tap... My GH... is literally a 0.

I ordered some Equilibrium, Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium, and some Nitrogen too, that will be here monday, so I can help the plants THRIVE. I'll also be upgrading them to glass lid and FugeRay lights here soon enough. But none of that will matter, if I have non aquatic plants in there....

Here are the two plants in question:
Really hoping the second one is aquatic, because Finn is in LOOOOVE with that plant....
Attached Images

Last edited by FinnDublynn; 04-18-2015 at 03:05 PM.
FinnDublynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Can't help you with ids but do know some plants can't handle Excel. It will definitely kill Anacharis at any strength (per the Seachem web site) and can melt Anubias and Crypts (also from Seachem web site). It also is suggested to use it half-strength if you have inverts like shrimp or dwarf crays.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #3 
FinnDublynn

I'll stop using excel.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #4 
FinnDublynn

See. Told you. I'm killing my plants. Lol
Old 04-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Several planted tank forums suggest starting out at half-strength or less and building up gradually. If I didn't have Anacharis in all three of my tanks that's what I'd do.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

The AquaBid SNE is tonight between 7:00 pm EDT and ???. Go to the home page and click on "One-Hour Auctions." Forum member JDAquatics has nice plants at the SNE for good prices.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #7 
FinnDublynn

I don't have Zacharias. I know I have marimo, flame moss, Amazon sword, Anubias petite, and micro sword right.. And if it can kill the anubias too...
Old 04-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #8 
FinnDublynn

I thought about that, actually.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #9 
FinnDublynn

My phone has all sorts of ideas on what other should be saying, apparently lol. You catch the drift at least, I hope. Lol
Old 04-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #10 
FinnDublynn

OK! I went back and bought several amazon swords and other swords and some Belhari and some Assorted Annubias and some more driftwood and a better hide-y hole for Finn since I don't like his current one and I'm replacing the rocks I put in second tank for McKinley since I'm not happy with them...

Once the wood is finished boiling, I'll be cupping both boys, draining the tanks, replacing the non aquatic plants with aquatic plants and adding even MORE plants, and making both tanks just gorgeous and happy for the boys... Then I think I need to stop spening money lol