Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #1 
Tree

Talking Betta Bulbs!

I went to the petstore and tried these betta bulbs out. After about 5 days, I started seen growth!

the only ones I can NEVER get growing is the Lily bulbs they have. I bought one and they started to rot. =( but it doesn't matter I have lilies anyway, but I was just experimenting since they were on sale.

Photos of the plants so far:

The onion plants that I bought. it seemed that the main bulb was rotting but there were these smaller onion bulbs on the sides growing. I pulled them off and they are growing like mad now!

The other bulbs, (not sure what they were called) I am excited for these cause it will look grassy in the green side of my divided tank. =)

This is the tank that has the second photo of plants. I will move the Onion plants in the same tank. (the green side of the tank)

enjoy,
Tree
Tree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:00 AM   #2 
ApochSaint

those are some nice fish!
ApochSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #3 
Aqua Aurora

I don't trust the bulbs they have sitting around stores for who knows how many months before they're bought. I've not had the best of luck with dwarf lily plants via mail either.. tried buying from PAC 3 different times only 1 bulb didn't smell of rot (and was soft and break-able) when it got here.. that may be from poor care on PAC's end or temperature while in the mail.
I want to try some Aponogeton species but they tend to get HUGE and I'm worried about DOA bulbs with them too...
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #4 
Tree

Thanks! these guys both pretty much have SBD but I love them all the same. I'm glad I moved them to a smaller tank though, They seem to be getting to the surface better.

@Aqua Aurora yeah I was pretty much taking a chance with these bulbs. I never trusted them either. I have two that are not growing in a tank that has nothing in it so we will see what happens to them. =P
Old 07-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #5 
SplashyBetta

I bought a pack of those once. Came with 7 bulbs, 4 grew! Three aponogetons and one onion.
SplashyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #6 
Tree

It sucks then some wont grow. =/

But Is there a way to keep the aponogetons from growing so larger? maybe Less light and rimming it?
Old 07-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #7 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
It sucks then some wont grow. =/

But Is there a way to keep the aponogetons from growing so larger? maybe Less light and rimming it?
Too little light it won't grow at all, you'd have to trim leaves as they got huge, not sure how fast it grows new leaves though
Old 07-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #8 
SplashyBetta

My three aponogetons reached about 20 inches in height and don't seem to be getting any taller. Leaves die every now and then, I trim off the dead ones and new ones grow within a couple days.
SplashyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #9 
Aqua Aurora

Do you know which sp. of aponogetons you have?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #10 
Tree

Hmmm, I will have to wait and see on how tall mine get. I'm guessing they are the same as SplashyBettas? They must be another type?