Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #1 
SabastiansMom

Okay everyone...I have a dilemma...

As most of you know I have been overrun with Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Since I have several of my wonderful fish folk that want these little critters...they are under control....or soon will be.

But, that's not my only snail problem. Since firing up this 55 gallon tank in September...I seem to have two other snails that have decided to rear their ugly...(yes some of you may disagree and think they are "cute") head and make it known that this is their tank. One...I have ramshorn..cute little pink ones...however they not only took over my tank...but they prolifically brought in these ugly and unrelenting bladder snails as well.

So...in this spirit I am taking problems into my own hands and I'm asking my dear fishy friends to give me ways to clean every thing in my tank so that these snails will never bother my tank again!
SabastiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #2 
MikeG14

Hire a hitman. Puffers or Convict cichlids don't play well with others but Clown or Yo-Yo loaches do. These guys will make short work of your snails.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #3 
Greenapp1es

Could you take a picture of the ramshorn? I'm considering setting up a small planted tank specifically for these guys. I know they multiply like mad so I'm not eager to put one in with my guys...but I wouldn't mind a small tank of them of their own...

(Basically, I might be willing to take one or two of these guys off your hands as well!)

Otherwise....um...assassin snail?
Greenapp1es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:43 AM   #4 
Nyri

I'll send you my little Yin. I have to put her in a breeder box since she eats all of the snails and snail eggs... Whenever I notice her getting kind of fat, I'll put her away until she's a little thinner, go through and manually remove any snail eggs I find, and release her back into the tank. I'm almost always worried about bloat with her... fortunately she's always been fine so far, and she's pretty much wiped out my snail population.

Last edited by Nyri; 01-25-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Nyri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #5 
SabastiansMom

Hmmm good ideas....however I have one black Ramshorn snail that I love, Poe...then there is my nerite...Harry and the two huge mystery snails Mork and Mindy that I don't want anything to happen to. So a loach isn't gonna do me any good and I'm scared to intro any other fish to my tank until I get rid of these snails. If I place assassin snails won't that be adding more snails? Hubby had the idea of emptying the tank and boiling everything. Seems the bladder snails are decimating my plants I have huge holes in my leave where they are eating the leaves. Anyway hubby wants to concoct a new vacuum system for my tank and come spring...I'm thinking it sounds like a plan.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:03 PM   #6 
Greenapp1es

Assassin snails feed on other snails - but if you're concerned about your guys that you like that might not be the best option for them either.

Otherwise - not sure. I know you can try the lettuce trap, but it sounds like you've got an awful lot of these guys.
Greenapp1es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #7 
Olympia

Are you vaccuuming your substrate well? Do you have live plants? People think snails come out of no where but they are breeding in response to some food source. Cut off their supply and they die (or the population will fall).
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #8 
SabastiansMom

Yes as well as I can. Live plants check. That's true Olympia. But MTS don't need a partner to breed or so I've read. I have 12 tetras, 6 cories, 2 mystery snails, 1 ramshorn and 1 nerite that I feed reg. I'm wondering if I am feeding too much since my snail population has exploded again when it seemed like I might have had them under control...I think I need to feed more than a good pinch size (pinch size is the size of a quarter?) because I'm starving them...should I back that off?
Old 01-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #9 
SabastiansMom

Green...the snails that are going out soon. Doesn't put even a dent in what I have for MTS. I've got probably a 100 in my big tank alone!
Old 01-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #10 
Olympia

I think you may need to slow down on feeding. I never fed my snails. They should be able to find enough food in the tank on their own.
But trying to leave a lettuce leaf in the tank and then pulling them out yourself should work well, then less food will keep them from getting out of control again. In the future try to feed the fish fish food, and then for the snails you can try blanching zuchinni or giving them lettuce (meaning try not to feed the snails fish food). I think the extra protein might be what makes them breed so much.. So when feeding the fish try and make sure food doesn't hit the ground.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote