Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #141 
Oldfishlady

Anything can happen......I guess.....In the one I just setup with potting soil and pool filter sand cap...was never cloudy. Since it was an experimental tank...I didn't use any filter or made any water changes other than the one I did on start up. It is a 10gal and I don't pre-rinse anything before use either-sadly the dang tank has a leak and I have to tear it down and it is doing so well too....Anyway...sounds like you need to start over or try turning off the filter and see if that helps some....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #142 
MonteCarlo

When anubias start to die off, do parts of their leaves turn dark green instead of the lighter green they normally are? Im just wondering if this is a normal sign of dying due to ammonia or lack of lighting w/e, or if it could possibly be a disease
MonteCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #143 
Oldfishlady

Not really sure...I don't keep Anubias..you might want to post a new thread and ask...sorry...
Old 12-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #144 
lillyandquigly

If I keep my tank by my window do I need lights?
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #145 
Oldfishlady

That depends....If you live in an area that you get at least 10h of light and what facing window you have-East and West being the best.

I have a few of mine in East facing windows, however, with season changes I still have to supplement light to complete my photoperiod-that being 12h in the warmer months and 10h in the cooler months. I would still recommend having proper lights to use as needed-due to cloudy or short days.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #146 
lillyandquigly

Ok, thanks OFL
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #147 
MonteCarlo

The only floating plant I can get near me is duckweed, and I guess I gotta ask a simple question, doesn't it soak up the light too much? I understand you could maintain it, but even if its in just a corner of your tank, wouldn't that corner be lacking light?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #148 
Oldfishlady

If your tank is covered with too much floating plants it can decrease the amount of light to the planted plants, however, 10-20% of the top with floating plants is usually fine and won't hurt.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #149 
acadialover

Hi OFL !
Tomorrow I will be setting up my 5 gallon. I read that you suggest removing the little plastic thing around the light bulb. In my 5 gallon, that will leave the bulb exposed totally to either water or moisture .... should I be nervous in such a small tank ? At the store I was told that frogbite is illegal in the state of Washington.( invasive plant ) They had no other floating stuff. Any suggestions for other types of floating plant ? (rikea ) ? (sp ) What about little floating swords or something like that ? LOl... I will drive around to several other stores to look today.
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #150 
MonteCarlo

I have heard a poster say that adding an air stone in a filterless NPT tank (such as the one ill create) is helpful to have some kind of water movement. Could stagnant water bring up an issue? A thread below this one highlights cyano bacteria possibly b/c stagnant water/not cleaning substrate enough