Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #231 
Oldfishlady

Yes, the purple is just a color variation, however, sometimes they will have color loss due to limited light we normally use in the soil based system-but it should still grow fine.
As for the plants-how many of the stem plants do you have-it is important to have lots of stems-The stem plants grow fast generally and are what help to keep the water safe until everything gets established.
What will your stocking be?

Filters-I don't have favorite filters-IMO/E they all do about the same thing-with that said, you want to limit surface agitation or too much since that can drive off the CO2. But, canisters with sprayer bars work pretty good since you can keep the sprayer bar under the water level. HOB's are okay-but if you plan on shrimp you have to be careful due to them being sucked up and the sponge filter is a good choice since you can have control of the flow if you use a gang valve. Or no filter at all and allow the plants to do that job. I don't always use filters-especially in my 10gal and under tanks-even on start up in a moderately stocked tank.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #232 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagat View Post
OFL, here's a trick question: If the floating plants cover, say, 50% of the ground and stems and rosettes only cover 25%, does that still count as heavily planted?
If I understand-50% or half the surface with floating plants and 25% rosette and stems-making 25% of the floor planted...No, I wouldn't consider that heavy planted. I kinda don't count floating plants-but do too...lol...they do matter since they are heavy feeders-especially important in new setups-As the tank matures and all the plants are doing well and you need to trim at least every 7-10 days and the rosette are sending runners- that tells me they are thriving and my soil/water is most likely safe too.
Balance-plants thriving and livestock thriving with the soil alive with bacteria-Everything doing its job.....
Its not that less plants won't work-its more to error on the side of caution and this is important when you first set a soil based system up- By having heavy feeding, fast growing stem and floater. The stem also have another job of bringing oxygen into the soil for aerobic life and to prevent anaerobic problems
Old 02-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #233 
Sagat

Awesome info. Thanks :)

How do you feel about circulation pumps/power heads? I'd considered getting one for my 29G (and possibly my 20L) to get circulation to my plants, but less surface agitation.

After some research, though, it seems really hard to find something with a low-enough GPH to avoid blasting my poor betta. After about 1.5 months, I'm starting to notice some spots in my tank where plants grow faster or slower than other parts of the tank, even with some adjustments to my lighting.
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #234 
Sprinkles55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Yes, the purple is just a color variation, however, sometimes they will have color loss due to limited light we normally use in the soil based system-but it should still grow fine.
As for the plants-how many of the stem plants do you have-it is important to have lots of stems-The stem plants grow fast generally and are what help to keep the water safe until everything gets established.
What will your stocking be?

Filters-I don't have favorite filters-IMO/E they all do about the same thing-with that said, you want to limit surface agitation or too much since that can drive off the CO2. But, canisters with sprayer bars work pretty good since you can keep the sprayer bar under the water level. HOB's are okay-but if you plan on shrimp you have to be careful due to them being sucked up and the sponge filter is a good choice since you can have control of the flow if you use a gang valve. Or no filter at all and allow the plants to do that job. I don't always use filters-especially in my 10gal and under tanks-even on start up in a moderately stocked tank.
I have 7 cabomba, one hygro c., and two water sprites concerning stem plants.
Along with them is some duckweed, pygmy chain swords, anubias, java moss, and crypt bronze wendtii.
My filter's flow is strong so I might not use it, but I'm still deciding on to baffle it or to not use it.
Also I'm not sure if it's bad or if the tank needs to settle but, when set up it was a little cloudy (this was lasnight) and it still was when I got home today so I did a 50% water change. It still is... Is this normal? Should I just keep changing the water until it's completely clear?
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #235 
Oldfishlady

Your water should be clear and if not after a couple of water only changes-you either don't have enough stem plants or something is kicking up the cap-like filter or fish. IMO-its most likely not enough stem plants looking at your list. If you can get some naja grass-add a mass of that-it can be planted or floated.

Sagat-sometimes a species of plant will just not do well for what ever reason-In my tanks-one tank will support one species and not another and while the exact same setup sitting next to it-supports a totally different species I can't grow in the other....Just one of the many challenges we face with planted tanks....lol.....
Old 02-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #236 
Sprinkles55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Your water should be clear and if not after a couple of water only changes-you either don't have enough stem plants or something is kicking up the cap-like filter or fish. IMO-its most likely not enough stem plants looking at your list. If you can get some naja grass-add a mass of that-it can be planted or floated.
After letting it settle it's actually cleared up beautifully.
I might get some najas grass for the back or to float - It looks very pretty.
For now I think I'll be okay though. Thank you OFL!
Here's a picture as of 5 minutes ago
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #237 
bayhay69

Is anyone having algae issues on their sand ?

I clean my aquarium once a week. For some reason there seems to be A LOT of brown stuff ...algae ?? or maybe fish waste ?? on the bottom of the sand, mainly in the back of the tank. What could this be ? Also some of the silk plants have a little of this stuff on them too. Nothing on the tank itself. It's very baffling. And it's driving me cRaZY !!!

Last edited by bayhay69; 02-07-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: wrong plase to post
bayhay69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #238 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayhay69 View Post
I clean my aquarium once a week. For some reason there seems to be A LOT of brown stuff ...algae ?? or maybe fish waste ?? on the bottom of the sand, mainly in the back of the tank. What could this be ? Also some of the silk plants have a little of this stuff on them too. Nothing on the tank itself. It's very baffling. And it's driving me cRaZY !!!
In my experience and research, I've read that brown algae occurs in cycled tank. I got amano shrimps to nom on my brown algae.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #239 
lillyandquigly

@bayhay, those discus in your avi, are they yours?
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #240 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Uh oh. I want a NPt now lol. I would like shrimp in it, so would the fluval shrimp stratum substrate work well as a topper? Thanks so much for this ofl!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote