Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #341 
RussellTheShihTzu

+1 Saphira. It's the quality of care that's most important with any pet.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #342 
countyrd419

2.5 gallons is just fine for Rusty. He is happy and here is the picture to show how much room he has to swim in.
Attached Images

countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #343 
FishyFishy89

Look how brightly colored he is! He is clearly thriving. Rusty reminds me how much I love red bettas. I'll go get one when my 5.5 finishes cycling.

I think I see a new plant in there. How's it going with it? Is his flaring reduced? Note: flaring isnt a bad activity. Usually they'll settle down and realize their reflection is no harm. Occasionally my bettas go to the filter in the back and play with their reflection. Sometimes I think their checking out their fins. xD
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #344 
Perchmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Look how brightly colored he is! He is clearly thriving. Rusty reminds me how much I love red bettas. I'll go get one when my 5.5 finishes cycling.

I think I see a new plant in there. How's it going with it? Is his flaring reduced? Note: flaring isnt a bad activity. Usually they'll settle down and realize their reflection is no harm. Occasionally my bettas go to the filter in the back and play with their reflection. Sometimes I think their checking out their fins. xD
Looks great; Rusty looks happy!
Perchmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #345 
countyrd419

I did put a new plant in Rusty's tank. So far it seems to be working at times he swims away from the plant but at other times he squeezes himself in the lower right hand corner where there is a little spot where he pecks at his reflection. Sometimes he floats between the vines.
Yes, we all have to remember that when our bettas see their reflection and peck, they are doing something that is in their nature which is to defend their homes; of course males over females. Our fish pets do have personalities of their own. He really shows off when I put the tank light on. The extra heat makes him feel good.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #346 
FishyFishy89

Do you have a heater in there?
I'd recommend getting one since bettas are tropical fish. They should be in waters atleast 77F. My bettas love and thrive in 80F
Old 06-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #347 
countyrd419

Smile

Somehow the water in Rusty's tank has remained at a steady 81 degrees without a heater. Maybe my home is warm too and of course being in Florida, our summer heat keeps almost everything toasty even with the air conditioning.

He is a happy VT-Male Betta.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #348 
FishyFishy89

Ah, you're in Oviedo, not too far from me. I am in Orlando.
It's been really hot lately. My poor AC has been working overtime to keep the house at 78F :P Walk in from outside and the house feels like its 75F!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #349 
countyrd419

I have been living in Florida for almost thirteen years and I guess you and I just have to accept that the heat and humidity are just a part of life during our summer months. I have one tip that I do to avoid getting into a steamy car before the air conditioning cools down my car. Here it is; I leave my window a crack open -- maybe a 1/2 inch that way the hot air is somewhat escaping into the air of course the window is not too wide open so that my car is not drenched during our famous pelting afternoon thunderstorms which happens daily. When I know that I working throughout the day, I put on my carshade over the front window. Of course I am sure you do some of the things too.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #350 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Does anyone have experience with mayaca, Ludwigia ovalis, or diandra in an npt? Or just the plants in general?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote