Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #371 
ringo3632

Trumpet Snails. They Hide DuringThe Day From My Understanding... And Ghost Shrimp Are Fun, Cheap And Easy To Find. I Never Cleaned The Substrate, Just Take Out Some Water. But The Old Fish LaDy Has A SWeet Thread On The WhOle Thing. That's Where I Learned. It's On This Forum
ringo3632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #372 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesadseahorse View Post
Can't the soil make the tank messy and dirty if it somehow gets disturbed or rooted up by something? I've been doing a lot of late night research and just discovered this. I'm kind of thinking about restoring this abandoned 40 gallon I have and turning it into a beautiful planted tank(what my developing mental image of it looks like anyways), and an NPT seems like a great option. Hard work, yes, but I can deal with that.

(im just asking generally anyone whos experienced in this kind of thing)
Does the substrate even need any cleaning?
What kind of snails would any of you recommend? Snails multiply quite easily, can they become a big nuisance or anything? What do you do with them when you have too many and need to remove them from the tank(if this happens)?
What kind or shrimp do you recommend?
How do you go about planting? Do you just stick them in the substrate where they're touching the soil?

BTW: I feel really dumb asking, but what is anaerobic soil?
--Anaerobic Soil has considerably less oxygen than other types of soil. Wet soil is automatically anaerobic.
--To plant a plant, it really depends on the type of plant. Non-substrate plants do better when tied to driftwood or large rocks. For anything else, stick it in and cover the roots. If it doesn't have any roots yet, just stick it in and pinch some substrate or gravel around it to hold it as steady as you can.
--For shrimps, really any shrimp would do fine. My favorite are crystal red, cherry and amano shrimps. Ghost shrimps are a pain. They're quite small and, to me, are just unappealing. They also don't do a very good job of cleaning. My amano shrimps are algae control for my plants. Always busy keeping the plants, decor and driftwood clean.
--Snails, I perfer Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They only reproduce based off the food available. So as long as you don't over feed, they won't take over. I offer 3 slices of cucumber or yellow squash or zucchini to my 75 gallon once a week. It is consumed by the fish/snails over the course of 2-3 days.
--The soil, I don't *think* it has to be rinised. I went back to read posts to confirm this, OFL said she adds her soil dry, adds just enough water to cover the soil, then she adds her cap(tho I would 1st rinse your cap if using sand) and fills/plants the tank.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #373 
thesadseahorse

Thanks!

for this 40g I have a canister filter thats for up to 100 gallons. Do you think I should use it or no? Could it be detrimental to the balance of the NPT? Should I use something to keep the water moving? I have a couple of old bubblers.
thesadseahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #374 
FishyFishy89

That is more than double the filtration. What stock are you housing? If you're not housing any high waste stock or your tank isn't over stocked, I would move to an HOB or canister rated for your tank's size.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #375 
Neso

I recently finished my planted tank and I preformed a 50% water change but as I was adding the water back in,but my cap was disturbed and soil went everywhere. What should I do to clear the water up?
Neso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #376 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neso View Post
I recently finished my planted tank and I preformed a 50% water change but as I was adding the water back in,but my cap was disturbed and soil went everywhere. What should I do to clear the water up?
Just let it settle.
Once it settles, put a plate on the substrate and pour your water over it.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #377 
thesadseahorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
That is more than double the filtration. What stock are you housing? If you're not housing any high waste stock or your tank isn't over stocked, I would move to an HOB or canister rated for your tank's size.
Okay. I don't plan on housing that many fish anyhow.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/whisper-...FeIRMwod0G4AFg would this be good?
thesadseahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #378 
FishyFishy89

That filter would be fine.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #379 
RowdyBetta

Has anyone ever used Miracle Grow potting mix (non-organic)?
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #380 
FishyFishy89

Potting SOIL. Not mix. Mix means their are fertilizers that may harm your fish. Organic is best because it isn't processed with pieces that have been sprayed with chemicals