Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #421 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Quote:
So I have an 18gal, and am looking into starting a NPT. So for the first month or 3 months your leave in the filter? Or do you just start off with no filter? You can leave it in for the first three months to circulate water or leave it in permanently. In my small NPT I never had a filter.
2) How many plants should I get of each? Like, a ratio perhaps? A 1:3 ratio for floating plants to stem plants, or something like that? When I head to petco Ill see what they've got. Not really a ratio... I would follow the suggested percentages made by Fishy though.
3) What type of shrimp, and can you add them immediately? Would bamboo shrimp be ok, or should I stick to ghost shrimp? You don't need shrimp, but Amanos, cherry, or ghost would all work. Bamboo are picky filter feeders. Knowing the fragility of them I would personally wait until the tank is stable.
4) This should be the last one. What type of monitoring do you do? Do you do nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia levels, or do you just leave it alone? I monitor all three when starting and nitrate when it's established, and if there was to be any problems I would go back to all three. There's no reason not to, it can only help.
5) ok I lied. How do you know when there's enough plants? When your levels are good and stable.
6) and last but not least, how do you 'trim' a plant? Just cut off excess leaves? If you let it grow long enough, can you trim it and plant the trimmings? Or does that require flowering and such to get new plants? Depends entirely on the plant...

Thanks! I'm still debating on a betta sorotiy or just get a new male. Decisions decisions..
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:44 AM   #422 
Vounn

Hello guys. I am setting up a soil based tank with some green rosette plants. The water became cloudy as soon I added in water, though I laid a layer of sand cap on top. Maybe it's due to me letting the water gush in continuously that the soil was eroded. Should I siphon out the cloudy water or should I just let the soil suspension settle to the bottom?
Vounn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #423 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vounn View Post
Hello guys. I am setting up a soil based tank with some green rosette plants. The water became cloudy as soon I added in water, though I laid a layer of sand cap on top. Maybe it's due to me letting the water gush in continuously that the soil was eroded. Should I siphon out the cloudy water or should I just let the soil suspension settle to the bottom?
let it settle. It is likely the pouring water disturbed your sand cap/soil.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #424 
kodawg9

So I got myself a 20 gallon long (I originally bought a 20 high but was able to just make enough space to place the 20" long) and I'm thinking about going NPT.

I have a lot of questions before I get ready to jump in. Trying to keep this as limited as I can:

1. Do NPT's make the room the tank sits in smelly? I have a gravel only-based planted 5 gallon and there's no stench (as there shouldn't be). Just wondering if the dirt aspect of the NPT may cause a smelly tank or not.

2. I plan on using Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix to fill about 1.5-2" as recommended by OFL. As I don't yet have plants, my plan was to simply just place the soil in the tank for now by itself (no water, no plants, etc.) Just wanted to confirm that leaving soil sitting in a tank won't eliminate the nutrients the soil has. I plan on leaving the soil in for about a week or so as I wait for all my other materials to be delivered.

3. I anticipate having driftwood, some rocks, cave-like ornaments and obviously the plants in the tank. I plan on placing the driftwood on top of the 2" soil before capping. However, with the stem plants, should I add them in the soil before adding in play sand as the cap? Or should I cap it first, then stick in the plants through the soil and cap?

#3 is based on the assumption that I'd be putting in plants, ornaments, etc. first before putting in any water. Is adding all the plants, ornaments, etc before putting in any water the correct way to approach? Or should I add some water before aquascaping?

4. I planned on adding fish/shrimp in after a week or two of the NPT aquarium being set up. However, I know that the fish's bioload plays a role in providing nourishment for the plants. Would adding in some fish pellets sufficiently provide nutrients for the plants? Or would I need to quickly add in fish to the planted tank so the system doesn't crash from the beginning?

5. In terms of live fish, I planned on the following: 1 male betta, 10 harlequin rasboras, either cories or otos (leaning towards 6-7 cories), and amano shrimp. If I use play sand as the cap, I have to watch out for potential digging by fish. Are cories or oto's known to dig through sand and create a little mishap in the tank?

6. Part of my intrigue with going NPT is how close a mature system can be to a complete ecosystem (obviously you can't completely make this set up self-sustaining. Once mature, what kind of maintenance needs to be performed? Obviously the water changes and plant trimmings come to mind, but anything else?

Appreciate your help! I've researched this process for a month or so now but I just want to make sure I have everything covered.
kodawg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #425 
Nothingness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodawg9 View Post
So I got myself a 20 gallon long (I originally bought a 20 high but was able to just make enough space to place the 20" long) and I'm thinking about going NPT.

I have a lot of questions before I get ready to jump in. Trying to keep this as limited as I can:

1. Do NPT's make the room the tank sits in smelly? I have a gravel only-based planted 5 gallon and there's no stench (as there shouldn't be). Just wondering if the dirt aspect of the NPT may cause a smelly tank or not.

2. I plan on using Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix to fill about 1.5-2" as recommended by OFL. As I don't yet have plants, my plan was to simply just place the soil in the tank for now by itself (no water, no plants, etc.) Just wanted to confirm that leaving soil sitting in a tank won't eliminate the nutrients the soil has. I plan on leaving the soil in for about a week or so as I wait for all my other materials to be delivered.

3. I anticipate having driftwood, some rocks, cave-like ornaments and obviously the plants in the tank. I plan on placing the driftwood on top of the 2" soil before capping. However, with the stem plants, should I add them in the soil before adding in play sand as the cap? Or should I cap it first, then stick in the plants through the soil and cap?

#3 is based on the assumption that I'd be putting in plants, ornaments, etc. first before putting in any water. Is adding all the plants, ornaments, etc before putting in any water the correct way to approach? Or should I add some water before aquascaping?

4. I planned on adding fish/shrimp in after a week or two of the NPT aquarium being set up. However, I know that the fish's bioload plays a role in providing nourishment for the plants. Would adding in some fish pellets sufficiently provide nutrients for the plants? Or would I need to quickly add in fish to the planted tank so the system doesn't crash from the beginning?

5. In terms of live fish, I planned on the following: 1 male betta, 10 harlequin rasboras, either cories or otos (leaning towards 6-7 cories), and amano shrimp. If I use play sand as the cap, I have to watch out for potential digging by fish. Are cories or oto's known to dig through sand and create a little mishap in the tank?

6. Part of my intrigue with going NPT is how close a mature system can be to a complete ecosystem (obviously you can't completely make this set up self-sustaining. Once mature, what kind of maintenance needs to be performed? Obviously the water changes and plant trimmings come to mind, but anything else?

Appreciate your help! I've researched this process for a month or so now but I just want to make sure I have everything covered.
Be sure to sift the soil first to remove all the wood bits so they don't make a mess of your tank later.

1. A smelly tank is a dirty tank. Keep up with your weekly water changes and you will have no problems. You get the occasional gas pocket in the soil that smells like a bad fart when it releases.

2. Shouldn't be an issue.

3. Cap the whole thing first. It you decide to move the hardscape later on you will not have to deal with the mess from the soil floating everywhere. I also found a thick layer of sand is best about 1 - 1.5 inch. Again helps to prevent soil release when the gas bubbles release.

#3. Fill the tank about 1/4 full by placing a plate on the sand and pour the water over it to not disturb the sand/soil. This makes planting a lot easier. Use tweezers to help plant if you can.

4. Put them in right away. Do some research on the silent cycle

5. The betta will probably end up eating the rasbora at some point, if not right away. General idea is if a fish is small enough to be eaten it will. I have no experience with cories or ottos. Amanos are great and they tend to grow to big to be a snack. The other thing u want are Malaysian trumpet snails. They burrow in the soil and release the gas pockets so you don't have to manually. They work like the worms do in a garden.

6. Releasing the gas pockets if you don't have snails to do it for u.

Last edited by Nothingness; 01-14-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #426 
FishyFishy89

OFL recommends to not put the fish in right away. I think she had stated to give the tank a month to settle any issues and to test your water daily to be sure there isn't any problems.

I've also never ever heard of a carnivorous fish eating plants. Its highly unlikely any betta would eat plants. They barely eat peas that people ignorantly feed them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #427 
Nothingness

Taken from ofl's initial post in this thread...If you properly setup the soil based tank-you can safely add all your livestock on the same day you set it up.

Also a rasbora is a fish not a raspberry
Old 01-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #428 
Nothingness

Taken from ofl's initial post in this thread...If you properly setup the soil based tank-you can safely add all your livestock on the same day you set it up.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #429 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post

Also a rasbora is a fish not a raspberry
Yeah, that means planting it 100%. Not the min 70% like she's noted before. Note that your soil will decomp and release stuff into your tank, so waiting and testing is your best option.

Lastly, for some unknown reason, I thought you were talking about a type of stem plant. And still remains, I've yet to see a betta eat a fish like that. Shrimps and snails, yes. But not fish like that.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #430 
kodawg9

Appreciate the response nothingness. That helped a lot
kodawg9 is offline   Reply With Quote