Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #441 
Rauddys809

i was wondering where can i get the soil? and the sand at i would like to get my tank planted the right way this weekend :D
Rauddys809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #442 
n25philly

You can get the soil pretty much anywhere. Any kind of home improvement store like a Lowes or home depot. I got some organic soil the other day at a walmart.
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #443 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauddys809 View Post
i was wondering where can i get the soil? and the sand at i would like to get my tank planted the right way this weekend :D
My sand is playsand from home depot. It is the kind of sand that is used in sandboxes for kids. Other people have also used black blasting sand. As with all substrate, rinse in a bucket until the water comes out clean.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #444 
Nothingness

Quote:
Originally Posted by n25philly View Post
I just got a 20 gallon tank and want to do a planted tank. I'm putting this in my office at work and the big possible issue with that is lighting. The only place to put it is in the window. It gets pretty good light on a sunny day, but with it being winter time I wonder if it will get enough light. on the days that aren't sunny. Should I get a daylight balanced light for it and just leave it off on sunny days? I feel like I understand most of the requirements of this kind of tank except for the lighting. What do people suggest?

Usually having a tank with direct sunlight is a recipe for algae. It will also make it difficult to maintain a steady water temp. It will cool in the winter and be too hot in the summer. Lighting will depend on what type of plants your looking for.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #445 
n25philly

I've had a really small tank in that spot for nearly a month now and have been surprised by how stable the temperature has been. The weather has been all over the place and the biggest change I've seen is 1 degree f. It's a sealed window (can't be opened) so maybe that's why. The tank I'm replacing was heavily planted (but not a NPT) and I haven't seen any algae. My main concern is light as some of the plants have struggled a little. It could be that there just wasn't enough nutrients being supplied to support them all though.
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #446 
Nothingness

If your just using gravel with plant then fertilizer and root tabs become a necessity.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #447 
johnnymillenium

I'd really like to start a NPT with my 2.5 gal which has been housing my male betta for over a year and just wanted to make sure I have all the finer points correct. So because its a smaller tank how many shrimp or snails should I get as a minimum? Would I be okay with just shrimp instead of a combination of shrimp and snails? I'm just worried about having to constantly take care of the snails overpopulating because it is such a small tank. and then I need to have 3-4 stem plants being at least 3 diff species? I've got a moss ball, and what i think are an anubias and java fern. Hopefully it doesn't get too crowded in there ^.^'
johnnymillenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #448 
sponge1234

Hello!!
I have a npt that has been set up for 2-3 months and I went to have breakfast this morning and looked at it, and it was really cloudy. Is this normal? How do I get rid if the cloudynes?
sponge1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #449 
Araielle

Well! I just ordered some plants, got my tank (10g) this morning & ordered some MTS. I just need to go pick up a light tomorrow & some dirt & sand. I'm wanting to get some shrimp ordered for it soon. I just have to figure out what shrimp would be best with the black sand. Then I can go get another beautiful beta! ^_^ Thank you for the thread, OFL! Thanks to all of you who asked questions, too. Reading through the thread pretty much answered any questions that I had so far.
Araielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #450 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
My sand is playsand from home depot. It is the kind of sand that is used in sandboxes for kids. Other people have also used black blasting sand. As with all substrate, rinse in a bucket until the water comes out clean.

so Play sand will be ok for a Natural Planted Tank? I was thinking about Organic soil, would they work both just the same?
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote