Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #481 
Tree

WHOOO my first NPT and the water cleared! the plants look a little pathetic and the dirt looks a little slanted but oh well. cross your fingers for my plants to feel better!

Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #482 
Joey Fish

Hey it is gonna be great once the plants grow in!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #483 
Araielle

I think I made my dirt too thick. It's organic soil with black sand. I'm mostly curious if this is too many plants. I have another tank to move some plants into. Vex seems to enjoy weaving in and out of them & resting in the naja grass. You can't really tell, but there are two driftwoods a couple small cholla wood & some rocks, so there is room between the plants. I couldn't get a clear picture of them from the top, though because of the duckweed and amazon frogbit.

There is 1 male CT betta, MTS, assassin snails & some ramshorn & pond smails that rode in on the naja grass. I had an order of shrimp, but that fell through, so there aren't any in there yet.

So am I doing this right? lol
Araielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #484 
kman

^^ I see lots of tanks that are little overgrown jungles. As long as you keep them trimmed enough that there is still room for your betta to move, it should be fine!

Note that with that much duckweed, your plants aren't going to get much light. You might want to thin that down a bit. (You'll need to do this regularly, because duckweed multiplies like crazy and will always try to fill the space up)
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #485 
Araielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
^^ I see lots of tanks that are little overgrown jungles. As long as you keep them trimmed enough that there is still room for your betta to move, it should be fine!

Note that with that much duckweed, your plants aren't going to get much light. You might want to thin that down a bit. (You'll need to do this regularly, because duckweed multiplies like crazy and will always try to fill the space up)
Thank you. Just cleared some duckweed off. I have more than I know what to do with lol. Guess I need to trim a bit, too.
Araielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #486 
haveyouhadyourteayet

Just for future reference, how would one dispose of duckweed - I know it's taking over some of the bodies of water in my area, I would prefer to not contribute to that!!!
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #487 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyouhadyourteayet View Post
Just for future reference, how would one dispose of duckweed - I know it's taking over some of the bodies of water in my area, I would prefer to not contribute to that!!!
Put it in a container and let it dry out in the sun. Once it is dried out, wrap it up and zip lock baggie it and throw it out.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #488 
kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyouhadyourteayet View Post
The BEST way is to find a friend with goldfish. They love to eat the stuff, and it's very healthy for them.

The way Fishy mentioned works, too, but it's slow and I would worry about it blowing away outside, before it's totally dried out and dead.

Simplest way, IMO, is just to put in a good glass container, like a pyrex measuring cup, with about an inch of water, and boil the heck out it in the microwave... probably 5-8 minutes should suffice to utterly kill it. Then just toss it in your flowerbed and let it break down into fertilizer. :)
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #489 
FishyFishy89

lol, i forget, not everyone has a screen in balcony. You can also put a lid on the container.

But yes, goldies love it. I've told Oly and Koimaiden that I'll mail them my duckweed for their fishys.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #490 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Fish View Post
Hey it is gonna be great once the plants grow in!!
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks =) I sure hope so! ^^
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote