Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #81 
Oldfishlady

Rosette plants are-swords, sags, vals, cryps, anubias to name the most common used-mainly plants that grow leaves from a crown or single axis and reproduce by runners.

Its hard to give numbers-but roughly 75% of the floor planted with stem plants and 10% floating. Its better to have too many than too few and its always a good idea to have another tank or bucket and extra lights on hand-plus, within a week 10 days you should have a lot of extra plants just from the trims you make

I would check out aquabid for plants or ebay.....Plants usually don't cost that much...its the shipping that can be expensive and on some of the aquabid plants-they have free shipping....

Laffs.....usually most pet shops will give MTS and any of the common snails for Free-since they are considered pest snails....lol....They can overpopulate fairly fast...personally, I like the common snails and they all have jobs in my systems.

I am excited for you guys too.....I look forward to seeing your tanks once setup....Once you go live plants its hard to go back...lol......I have seen behaviors I have only dreamed about in my planted tanks. The soil based are as close to a natural ecosystem that can be created in a glass box/closed system. Its still a closed system and need some help-but overall they are great and a lot easier to care for than you think...Its all about balance and proper color temp lights.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #82 
lillyandquigly

sorry if this has been answered previously in the thread, but if you use dirt from outside your home, how do you make sure it's clean? Also where can you get sand for the cap?
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #83 
Oldfishlady

Well.....as long as you don't use chemicals-like ferts and pesticides in your yard/area-the soil should be safe-I would dig down at least 10-12 inches to harvest the dirt for the tank-to be safe....

Sand, I get my sand at walmart, home depot or lowes.....I use both playsand and pool filter sand and you can use small diameter gravel.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #84 
paris38

Oldfishlady:If I use 6500k lighting can I get low light and medium light plants?Thanks!
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #85 
MistersMom

Can 1.5 gallon tank be a NPT? I think ive heard people say no, but you said on your filter list, a 1-10 gallon tnka gets no filter. so can a 1 gallon be NPT ?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #86 
Oldfishlady

A "Daylight" 6500k bulb is what I use for my planted tanks for low to mod light plants.

If it holds water-I plant it...lol.....IMO/E-any size container can be planted, however, you might be limited on fish species with some smaller containers.

In other words....Yes, IMO/E a 1.5gal is fine to start a soil based planted tank for a Betta and shrimp and/or snails.

Cute, unique little half gallon and smaller bowls make nice planted containers with either shrimp and/or snails too.....

You are only limited by your imagination and creativity with plants..........
Old 11-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #87 
MistersMom

Would i have to do alot of water changes with 1.5? and i only have a small female in there ight now, i could get some srimp and a snail. i plant to get another 1.5 gallon for my female, because im selling my 20 gallon soon. if your interested lol. but i had 3 males in it, and somehow all but one died, i think they may have had internal parasited because the one who survives has clear stringy poop. and he wont eat. and he darts alot. BUT anyways, a 1.5 gallon for both my ne girls and a NPT on both sound legit lol. i could have a snail or 2 in each and shrimp but the light issue is, it came with a LED light, do you know of any plants that dont need but an LED ? like maybe a moss ball? because those are the only light I have... unless i set them in the sun room, but they may not like the sun.... I just don't know.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #88 
Oldfishlady

Once my unfiltered- 1gal-3gal-heavy planted soil based are mature(about 3 months)-I make 4-5 more or less partial water changes a year-provided that the plants are thriving and doing their job.
On first setup-I make 2-3 partials for the first week or so then back down to 1-2 weekly-then monthly.
This is stocked with a single adult Betta and shrimp-usually half dozen or so and lots of common snails-maybe 20 or so that are thinned out on a regular basis. Water prams are all 0ppm(zero) across the board-the plants take care of the water and DOC's.

Plants for LED's would be anubias, ferns, moss-It would be risky to setup a soil based with just those plants and I wouldn't recommend it. Bare bottom or inert substrate would be safe-along with proper water changes of course....

Don't need another tank...but thanks.....I just seen a 40gal with everything and a stand at the thrift shop for $30.00 and a complete 10gal for $10.00-both including heaters, lights, filter, gravel and one even had a remote-don't know what it was for...lol........wish I had a place for them....lol.....
Old 11-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #89 
lillyandquigly

thanks OFL!
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #90 
Juicebox

regarding the small diameter gravel,i am planning on using play sand as a cap,then i will take some nice decorative small stones and make 2 big circles in each side of the tank in back corners,i will plant my tallest species of plants in here,so it looks like a little garden section,i was going to use the gravel i have now to put inside the stoned off circles on top of the sand,its big diameter though,it will only be on maybe 40 percent of the floors surface,the rest will be just sand.

should i not use this big diameter gravel,its not suepr big,i think its just regular petco black gravel, but im afraid if i go for smaller diameter gravel the adf frogs i plan gettin in the future would swallow the small gravel and die
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote