Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Animals Are a Depressed Girls Best Friend

It's been a rough week for me. I moved from another state three weeks back and have clinical depression which I refuse to be medicated for. Now that I am starting to get homesick my depression is much harder to control and dare I say I got to the danger zone of bad thoughts. I curled up on my floor twice crying uncontrollably and not knowing why, found it hard as hell to get out of bed or even eat. I moved here to be with my new band and though I do not regret it I do regret not getting onto zoloft before I left but my choice still stands to not medicate. I am just so thankful for my animals. I couldn't bring my cat with me but I did bring my rats with me and I got my fishy shortly after I unpacked and honestly they keep me going. I know when I start sobbing i can hold one of my ratty girls and know they will lick my tears away and make me feel better. Even my fish is starting to get in tune with something not being entierly right with me lately and sat at the front of his tank watching over me while I laid on the floor near the tank. I'm very depressed as of now but hope it gets better and know I'll make it through this because of them.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Fish help with my depression too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

They are amazing. It sounds sad but my pets have helped me more than a therapist. My therapist can only tell me not to off myself, my pets give me a reason to live. Without me they would have no one and so...bang like that they have kept me alive more so than I keep them alive. Perhaps the reason I am so obsessive about their care. However i have noticed cleaning cages and tanks, feeding them, and playing with them also brings down my anxiety levels and makes me take my mind off things that trigger anxiety and depression in me.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Me too, a therapist just says what's wrong. Psych meds change my brain and cause side effects.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #5 
gn3ranger

So very true though not only for girls haha. When i was in high school there would be so many time I'd some home mad or sad only due to arguments with teachers and the police staff on campus i would come home boiling mad or really sad. Kamile my rat still with me today would always be there for me to carry her and such. Animals really do distract and help us with our problems. Even now with new pets I enjoy cleaning my lizard's cage when I get upset it makes me happy that I'm making them feel more comfortable just makes me forget about the stuff that got me upset. Any animal really will help :3
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have too say pets are not ignorant to are problems they do not judge us they love us. They are a disabled persons best friend.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #7 
toad

Heard.

I have bouts of depression and anxiety, and my animals have actually prevented me from committing suicide a few years back. My dog, especially, always makes me smile, no matter how bad my day might be. My 2 outdoor kitties, who adopted me, are like little rays of sunshine every time I leave my house or come back. My rattie girls make me laugh, and I love how happy they are to see me. And my wonderful swimming babies, 5 bettas and a community of mollies, platies, tetras and snails, make me feel so very peaceful and content. I cannot imagine living in this house without them.

Animal energy, I think, is inherently good and healthy; being surrounded by such energy is good for the soul
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Neither can I they help with my anxiety. They also give my asperger syndrome something to obsess over.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #9 
LadyVictorian

My pets have saved me from suicide as well and my mouse even saved me from death after my horse Lucky Memory passed away I had such a massive panic attack I passed out in my bedroom and stopped breathing. My mom said she found me because she heard my mouse Ophelia screaming in her cage. My mom was able to shake me back awake and got me breathing again. I had to go to the hospital after that but my mom still isn't certain why Ophelia did that. Even though she is gone that mouse is still and always my guardian angel.

Also it's been proven people with pets live longer. I wonder why. They help with stress in life so much.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #10 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
My pets have saved me from suicide as well and my mouse even saved me from death after my horse Lucky Memory passed away I had such a massive panic attack I passed out in my bedroom and stopped breathing. My mom said she found me because she heard my mouse Ophelia screaming in her cage. My mom was able to shake me back awake and got me breathing again. I had to go to the hospital after that but my mom still isn't certain why Ophelia did that. Even though she is gone that mouse is still and always my guardian angel.

Also it's been proven people with pets live longer. I wonder why. They help with stress in life so much.

Awww That's an amazing story! I'm sorry to hear about Ophelia and Lucky Memory :(
toad is offline   Reply With Quote