Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #1 
LaLaLeyla

How do you heat your betta tanks?

Currently I have 4 bettas and only one of them has a heater. I'm looking into other ways of heating their tanks considering aquarium heaters are expensive.
( I know I'm a "bad" owner for not properly heating their tanks but I'm trying to fix that. No rudeness please.)

Any ideas on how to heat their tanks or should I just save up and buy them all heaters?
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #2 
katydidmischief

It's probably best to save up for some heaters. What size tanks do you have?
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #3 
Fin Fancier

I would definitely just save up and buy heaters. In the meanwhile try keeping the fish in the warmest room in your house, and make sure to keep the windows closed. If it gets cold at night try wrapping a towel or small blanket around the tank to insulate it.
Temperature fluxuations can stress bettas out, so even if its not a balmy 78 a constant 74 is much healthier than the temp going up and down all day.
Oh, and I'm not sure how big your tanks are, but I found a fairly cheap 25 watt heater on ebay, it's adjustable, but I don't know if anyone has any experience using it since I didn't end up buying it.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...ater+&_sacat=0
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #4 
LaLaLeyla

I have one 2.5 gal, and three 1 gallons.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

I found two heaters on the 50% off shelf at Pet supplies plus..they are adjustable and only cost $7.98 each. I was thinking of setting up a portable greenhouse indoors to keep my tanks in lol...I was trying not to have to buy heaters for all of my tanks too, so I know what you are going through. Luckily it is still really hot here.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #6 
acitydweller

Try looking for some 35 watt heaters for each tank
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #7 
Leeniex

I use Elite 25W heaters in all my 2.5 tanks and they work great, and were cheap.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #8 
toad

I ordered mine from Amazon - haven't received them yet, but they were only around $12 each, I think.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #9 
Sivan

Some people just upgrade to a larger tank, divide it, and use just one filter/heater for it. If that is not an option, you will need individual heaters because at night the water can drop 10 degrees easily, so an alternative source of heat like a light really won't work well. I use Elite brand heaters and I got mine for about $17 but I am sure you can find them cheaper if you find a sale or a different brand.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #10 
celie

Quick question... are you supposed to keep heaters on at all time? I feel like the water gets too warm and it's only a mini heater 10watt.
celie is offline   Reply With Quote