Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #1 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Apple Snails

So I would like to get into breeding and caring for apple snails more. My set up would be clear rubber bins some for breeding other for permanent homes but I have a few questions.
How do I breed them?
How big should the tubs be?
Do the tubs need to be heated?
Where can I get good apple snails?
Any information would be super helpful!
How should I set up their tubs? I heard they eat live plants is it true?
What should I feed them?
Thanks so much everyone!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #2 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Are there different kinds of apple snails? I want the ones that get really big :)
Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I think for breeding you put a female and a male in one tank and wait lol! I don't know much about them.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

How do I breed them? Since its impossible to sex them, you need 4 or 5 and hope at least one is a female. The female needs to be abpe to go out of the water to lay the eggs so leave room in the tank where she can do so.
How big should the tubs be? Supposedly its 2.5G for each snail but they lay hundreds of eggs..so not sure.
Do the tubs need to be heated? Yes
Where can I get good apple snails? Aquabid is probably the best place but walmart and petco do have them, although they are usually either dead or in poor shape. Ebay is another option
Any information would be super helpful! www.applesnail.net
How should I set up their tubs? I heard they eat live plants is it true? They eat dead and decaying plants, not healthy ones. They also eat the algae of the plants
What should I feed them? Cucumbers, lettuce, algae waffers, fish flakes
Are there different kinds of apple snails?
There are different colors - magenta, purple, black, ivory, ect. Apple snails can get pretty big

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-09-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

They're not impossible to sex. Look for the penis sheath. Research "apple snail sexing".
Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #6 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Thanks tikibirds! Reading about them there are several different kinds of apple snails, I aim for the larger snails, I will try sex them in the store sand very hopefully bring home a few on Saturday, Matt you get to help me pick them out. Thanks I pretty much have it figured out, I am buying a 5 gal tub from Walmart and will heat it and throw some live plants in it for them, my cambomba is going wild! Matt want me to bring your two ct fry on Saturday?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

http://www.applesnail.net/content/care.php

It says that you don't need a heater but you do for breeding. *sigh* I might end up getting a couple as well. Or waiting for yours to breed.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #8 
Chevko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
How do I breed them? Since its impossible to sex them, you need 4 or 5 and hope at least one is a female. The female needs to be abpe to go out of the water to lay the eggs so leave room in the tank where she can do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
They're not impossible to sex. Look for the penis sheath. Research "apple snail sexing".
Nope and yes. You can sex snails based off the penis sheath as well as the shape of their shell. I did the shell method for Honey since I could not find a thing that screamed 'penis' at me; had a few 'scares' that she was a he, but she's remained happily female thus far. (Plus I've also heard that males tend to go for anything that looks like it has a shell shape.)

http://applesnail.net/content/anatomy/reproduction.php
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Research "apple snail sexing".
The differences between the sexes are not visible at the shell color or patterns, but in several species, a difference in shell shape has been described. For example in Pomacea canaliculata, the aperture (opening) in the male has a rounder opening than in the female because of the large penial complex. This sex-difference is not very well visible and it's not a very reliable to discriminate on individual base, but clear when measuring large amount of snails (in other words, it's possible to show the difference based on statistics). Despite the shape difference, it often easier to determine the sex by looking inside the mantle cavity to spot the penial complex or the absence thereof in case of a female snail. To do this one should take the snail out of the water and keep it upside down for a minute or 10 and blow some fresh air over the snails body. The animal will (hopefully) stretch its foot out to turn the shell upright. When this happens it's possible to look inside the right mantle cavity, where one should look for the relatively large penis sheath in front of the gills. The female snail lack such structure (obvious). The picture below should help to see the difference between the sexes.
Last, but not least: in very thin shelled apple snails and in specimen with translucent shell (albino Pomacea bridgesii), one can also observe a colour difference in the upper whorl (spine) of the shell in periods that the snails are in a reproduction stage. The female ovaria can then show up as a dark organ at that place (see picture below). Note however, that this method is not reliable at all times and can only be used when the snail are sexual active. In the latter case the snails mate anyway, so that one can see the male snail mounting the female repeatedly.

A sex change from male to female (proandry) has been described for some Pila and Pomacea apple snails. In case of Pila snails, the male needs a preparatory aestivation period to become a female, while the Pomacea snails can change sex at all times (at least in certain species). During this sex change, the testis change in color and decrease in size. The frequency at which this sex change occurs is not certain and not much literature is available about this subject. There is some very interesting research about the effects of certain chemical substances that are known of suspected to have influence on the development of the reproductive organs. Many of these substances are of great concern as they can be found in habitats due to pollution.

Or so says Aquariacentral

Quote:
, apple snails are more active at higher temperatures. At higher temperatures, they eat faster, creep faster and they grow faster. Also higher temperatures mainly induce the reproduction of the apple snail. At lower temperatures (18C/65F) the apple snail enters a dormancy state in which they creep away in the mud and become very inactive. Temperatures below 18C/65F should be avoided as the mortality rate quickly increases.
I have seen the water in my tanks drop into the 60's without a heater

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-10-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #10 
Aoicat

It doesn't take much to get snails to breed. Best way to start would be to get half a dozen good sized snails to start with. You will need a heater as they prefer warmer water. Whatever container you put them in, you need to leave open space at the top for them to lay the eggs. The eggs will die if you submerge them. In my girlfriend's tank they crawl up to the top lip and lay them on the glass under the overhang. You'll also need to make sure you have a lid or they'll crawl out of the container. I would suggest a simple sponge filter and some artificial plants or something for them to crawl around on. They really are fun to watch crawling around and over everything in the tank. You can feed them pretty much any fish food you have. Algae wafers and an occasional slice of vegetable are also really good for them.
Aoicat is offline   Reply With Quote