Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #11 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Where I live kids are required by their schools to put in "community service" hours. Some do it at nursing homes and such but many do it at animal shelters. Check it out, at least you can help get dogs adopted before you can get your own.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #12 
RoxieStClaire
New Member
 
RoxieStClaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
She doesn't see me responsible for caring Lebron as "He's just a fish." :( So technically she sees him as a waste of space, she'll understand some day... Hopefully in the future my A's will save a dog. :)
Oof, dang, but from the sound of all your posts on here, you seem to put more work into your "just a fish" than a lot of people put into their dog! I hope she comes to her senses about that soon, because if you love that dog even half as much as you love your fish, that will be one spoiled puppy!

I like the idea of what registereduser said about volunteering at a shelter, the only foreseeable problem is whether or not you have to be a certain age to volunteer there. I remember when I was a kid you had to be at least 10 or so, but I dunno if that's changed or even if it varies from state to state.

Another idea if that doesn't work out is to advertise yourself around town as a "dog-sitter" for people when they go out of town. Most times they won't even ask you to take the dog home with you, you just have to go once or twice a day to feed it, clean up any messes, and take it for a walk.
RoxieStClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #13 
Olympia
TFK Moderator
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Compromise, ask to foster a dog? Maybe she will fall in love and let you adopt him?
Just a shot, "compromise" doesn't exist in my family either, but I sure try!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #14 
Tikibirds
Member
 
Tikibirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Warrensburg, NY
Dude, I was lucky if I got D's in math.
maybe if you just happend to stop bu the shelter with her, she will see one and fall in love with it??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #15 
kfryman
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
I remember the last graded I got in 6th were straight A's, never really try anymore lol, I just do my work and pass as best as I can.

I would say that though you may be bummed out, be thankful for what she allows you to do, it is hard to do sometimes but sometimes you realize how you would have nothing if it werent for your parents.

I think volunteering at a shelter would be great if you can, as some do require you to older at least usually with big dogs as they can do so muh more damage and have way more strength then a tiny dog. I would go on your local shelters web page and look around and see about volunteer specifications. If you don't find them email or call.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #16 
Tikibirds
Member
 
Tikibirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Warrensburg, NY
My elementary school was odd. They did not use ABCDF, they used E-excellent, S-satasfactory, U-unsatisfactory and I don't recall what failing was.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #17 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
The new system here pushes all kids ahead, regardless of whether they failed the grade or not. SO, when my bf was doing his internship in the classroom there was nobody on the same level of learning. Such a sin. He taught the grade 6's and there were students who hadn't even got a grade 3 in reading.. How are classrooms supposed to manage??!? Infuriating.

Off topic..

Fostering is a rewarding thing. Ask your mom to consider it.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
My school says I am very disruptive I can be. I have bad focus and many other issues. A teacher even admitted to me. They care more about everyone elses issues. I am okay with it. It is okay if I do what everyone else does I get free stuff. I know it is unfair. Still learning social skills. I might be a theripist I diagnosed myself with something and latter on a doctor said I have it. A friend of mine I diagnosed a doctor confirmed it. The special education teacher said great potental just need to behave. I have a yellow lab she is small cute and friendly. I still prefer fish just so cute and they do not run away. Albino Cory Catfish they are adorible. Hope you get a dog. Tell your mom a B in advanced is a A in regular. Tell your mom you might be get dog.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #19 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Where I live kids are required by their schools to put in "community service" hours. Some do it at nursing homes and such but many do it at animal shelters. Check it out, at least you can help get dogs adopted before you can get your own.
Well, I don't think I'm able to do that. :\ I mean, my parents are really overprotective and don't even let me go outside. -_- I'll ask if I can, but whenever my dad doesn't work, my mom does. And vice-versa. They're tired all the time because we're saving for a house that's 550,000 something and the down payment is high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxieStClaire View Post
Oof, dang, but from the sound of all your posts on here, you seem to put more work into your "just a fish" than a lot of people put into their dog! I hope she comes to her senses about that soon, because if you love that dog even half as much as you love your fish, that will be one spoiled puppy!

I like the idea of what registereduser said about volunteering at a shelter, the only foreseeable problem is whether or not you have to be a certain age to volunteer there. I remember when I was a kid you had to be at least 10 or so, but I dunno if that's changed or even if it varies from state to state.

Another idea if that doesn't work out is to advertise yourself around town as a "dog-sitter" for people when they go out of town. Most times they won't even ask you to take the dog home with you, you just have to go once or twice a day to feed it, clean up any messes, and take it for a walk.
Thank you for the compliments... As I said, they're overly protective. And I don't think I can put up with that much, I still have school and no one to supervise and such. I would love to volunteer at the shelters..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Compromise, ask to foster a dog? Maybe she will fall in love and let you adopt him?
Just a shot, "compromise" doesn't exist in my family either, but I sure try!
We need to move out 1st and trust me, she really doesn't like animals. She doesn't like the fur and she can feel their "bones". :( I always try. If you want answers, you have to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Dude, I was lucky if I got D's in math.
maybe if you just happend to stop bu the shelter with her, she will see one and fall in love with it??
D: I definitely want to go to the shelter, I'll ask her if I can go. I can probably go for a Halloween gift. :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
I remember the last graded I got in 6th were straight A's, never really try anymore lol, I just do my work and pass as best as I can.

I would say that though you may be bummed out, be thankful for what she allows you to do, it is hard to do sometimes but sometimes you realize how you would have nothing if it werent for your parents.

I think volunteering at a shelter would be great if you can, as some do require you to older at least usually with big dogs as they can do so muh more damage and have way more strength then a tiny dog. I would go on your local shelters web page and look around and see about volunteer specifications. If you don't find them email or call.
Yes, I'm thankful. It's great you have good grades. It seems that if I do all the work, they're all A's. I'll volunteer if my parents say OK, but it's a 75% chance of no. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
My elementary school was odd. They did not use ABCDF, they used E-excellent, S-satasfactory, U-unsatisfactory and I don't recall what failing was.
My elementary was weird, too. They used numbers up to 4. 4 is the best, 1 it the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
The new system here pushes all kids ahead, regardless of whether they failed the grade or not. SO, when my bf was doing his internship in the classroom there was nobody on the same level of learning. Such a sin. He taught the grade 6's and there were students who hadn't even got a grade 3 in reading.. How are classrooms supposed to manage??!? Infuriating.

Off topic..

Fostering is a rewarding thing. Ask your mom to consider it.
Grade 3 in reading?? Thank god my reading is advanced as well...! Off topic, too. I'm sure she'll say no but trying is worth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
My school says I am very disruptive I can be. I have bad focus and many other issues. A teacher even admitted to me. They care more about everyone elses issues. I am okay with it. It is okay if I do what everyone else does I get free stuff. I know it is unfair. Still learning social skills. I might be a theripist I diagnosed myself with something and latter on a doctor said I have it. A friend of mine I diagnosed a doctor confirmed it. The special education teacher said great potental just need to behave. I have a yellow lab she is small cute and friendly. I still prefer fish just so cute and they do not run away. Albino Cory Catfish they are adorible. Hope you get a dog. Tell your mom a B in advanced is a A in regular. Tell your mom you might be get dog.
That's so true!! But she wants me to keep on going... If I pass this, I can go to Algebra next year with all the letters. :l I will get the dog! Even if I have to go through stuff I will!!

Thank you everybody. I feel determined now that I CAN do it! My Math teacher allowed me to give the packet to her. :) I'm gonna do this!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #20 
ThePearlFish
Member
 
ThePearlFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: VA
I can relate. My dad absolutely hates all animals. His quote is "My favorite kind of animal is one I can eat"

It took a lot of time of fights and begging pleading etc. till I was able to get my first dog.

I even ended up being able to convince him to let me get my 2nd one after the first passed away. That time it was just as hard to convince him.

He still hates animals and I just trained each dog to stay away from my dad and to leave the room when I told them to (so he could be in the room without the dog being there).

You'll get your dog one day :). I always wanted a cat, but with my dad hating animals and him also being allergic to them, that was never gonna happen, but when I moved away I was able to get my cats finally. Even if you don't get a dog for some time, it will happen some day :)
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.