Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

2.5 gallon tank

I hate how small they are but if I get a baby fish I want to put one in a 2.5 gal tank until I can upgrade. Now my questions are what kind of heater can you put in a 2.5 gallon tank and can you cycle a 2.5 gallon tank? The one I found comes with a filter so it would be cool to cycle the tank.

If I cycled a tank that small could I clean it only twice a week with 50% water changes? Once a week when fully cycled? Or is twice for a smaller tank still better?

Also could I keep two shrimp and one real plant in there? I was thinking java moss and two shrimp to help keep it clean.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

yes to all your questions.
cycling a 2.5 is a little tricky. If you want to minimize your water changes and if you have a good light, you should plant the tank.
I almost never change the water in my 2.5 these days. There plant's in there are actually lacking nutrition because there is not enough bioload. I have to dose flourish everyday. but that's still better than doing water changes IMO. lol.

If you do want to cycle a 2.5... find a high surface area filter media. also try to find some finer gravel and stock up on quite a few aquarium decorations. this will maximize surface area for bb to populate...
now, you will need a test kit, but you can cycle as normal.

I would recommend that after your tank cycles, to test the water every week before you do your water changes, just to be sure that the cycle is holding stable.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Would an in fish cycle be bad with a baby or should I not cycle until it's older?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

it wont be bad...with a filter your tank will try to cycle no matter what... just do the water chanes as usual. maybe when you test the params in two months, U'll be surprised to find that your tank has cycled itself
Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

Can I speed it along with some rocks from Aquarius's tank? It's almost fully cycled and I am sure by the time I have the 2.5 it will be finished and had a healthy colony of good bacteria.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

better if you stick some filter media in the filter, and have it colonized, then move it into the filter of your 2.5
:)
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

Oh even better idea duh. I am going to have to pick that up when I go tomorrow to pick up some stuff for Aquarius's tank and check on shrimp. xD I am obsessively looking at shrimp and waiting for that tank to be done cycling so I can add them in. Would two shrimp be cool for a 2.5 gal? I am getting cherry shrimp and I just want to know in the event they breed and i have some baby shrimp I can distribute to other tanks. A friend of mine who has red cherry shrimp said out of all shrimp they breed the best in captivity and keeping numbers down is hard unless your fish eat the babies...but I don't want the babies to be eaten so I will will raise them to adulthood and find them all homes instead. In the event that happens. Granted one of the five shrimp i get is female.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

if you have a betta in there, you certainly will not need to worry about shrimp overpopulation XD
I used to have 10 in mine, except my fish decided to eat the small ones and pester the rest to death :P Now I have two giant red ones left :)
Old 09-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #9 
Cerulean

My betta decided he didn't want housemates. He tortured and bit into pieces my ghost shrimp within one day of getting him and he stalked and then preceded to eat my golden mistery snail. I hope if u get him as a baby he won't be so territorial. I just wanted him to have company, he didn't agree =-O oops. Now I know he is antisocial and wanted his new home all to himself. I have the 2.5 betaine tank just fyi
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #10 
LadyVictorian

Well my male I currently have Aquarius is in a 5gal and is about 4 or 5 months old, not quite six, he's so small still. He's getting the shrimp before anyone else because he's special like that. Though from his personality he isn't as territorial as some males. Even when he sees his reflection it's 50/50 over if he bothers to flare or not and he loses interest pretty quick even when he does.