Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Questions about females

I have a few questions about females considering I am thinking of getting either a baby betta or a female eventually.

What is the smallest tank a female can live in? Do they need larger tanks than males? Could they live in a 2.5 gallon tank?

Can females be kept alone? Since I don't think I'll have a 10 gal anytime soon I can't have more than one fish per tank. Can females be happy alone or do they need sororities?

Can female betta have plastic plants since they don't have those long fragile tails? My boys plastic plants are sort of useless to me now and i was wondering if a female could have them considering I ever got one.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I have a few questions about females considering I am thinking of getting either a baby betta or a female eventually.

What is the smallest tank a female can live in? Do they need larger tanks than males? Could they live in a 2.5 gallon tank?

Can females be kept alone? Since I don't think I'll have a 10 gal anytime soon I can't have more than one fish per tank. Can females be happy alone or do they need sororities?

Can female betta have plastic plants since they don't have those long fragile tails? My boys plastic plants are sort of useless to me now and i was wondering if a female could have them considering I ever got one.
Female bettas tend to be very active, more so than males (excluding male plakats) due to less finnage weighing them down.
They can live in a 2.5 gallon tank, but as always, the biggest possible is best :) A 2.5 is certainly better than 1 gallon, especially with an active female :)

Yes, they can most certainly be kept alone! Some females actually are too agressive to live in a sorority. They will be perfectly fine alone.

I cant answer the last question about the plastic plants, but when I had my female, I just steered clear of plastic in case.. maybe someone else can answer.

Good luck with your girly! Theyre a lot of fun and in my experience have cute little attitudes :)

If you are considering getting a baby still, I suggest you read here on their care, theyre very fragile and need extra special care when theyre young: http://bettacarecentral.weebly.com/baby-betta-care.html
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Oh I have read up on babies already but thanks all the same. I wouldn't considering getting a baby unless I was knowledgeable on their care. I already have some stuff for a baby or female that I am no longer using for my male because his tank is getting a full on Asian theme face lift with new silk plants and a temple to hide in.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #4 
RandyTheBettaFish

I use plastic plants for my female, and havent had any problems! +1 with everything teeney wrote.
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

Yay so plastic plants are female safe? That's good, then I don't have to throw these away. I'll keep all the things I didn't deem male safe for the female if I get one over a baby. Already have four plants and a rock cave that I was iffy keeping with my boy because it has a pointed part where fake coral is and I feared it ripping his tail.