Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #1 
NeoViking

Aquascaping with moss?

I'm thinking about totally re-decorating my 64ltr tank now that I've moved my vt "Vega" into it and was concidering using moss... but I've never EVER used moss in any of my tanks before and wondered if it's hard to look after?
Does it have many requirements? and how do you attatch it to decoration like wood?
Does it need a lot of light?
Any kind of moss better than other?
Anyone got any advice? :)

I don't have it yet, I'm still concidering but I love the look of moss for it's dark colour and the fact that it can be used as a focal point without taking up room.
I'm going to use other plants too for Vega to hide in but I think the moss would look nice ^^

thanks x
NeoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #2 
Meggie6347

Hi! I have java moss in one of my tanks. You can see it here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111940&page=4

I love it! I like the look of it, and it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE t kill! It grows somewhat slow, but that's okay
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #3 
NeoViking

I know this is off topic but your betta's really cute ^____^

How do you grow the moss? do you just tie it onto wood? or let it do its own thing?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #4 
Meggie6347

Haha thank you!

And you can do whatever, that's the brilliant thing about it! I tied mine down in that tank with fishing line. eventually the moss will grow into the wood and you can remove the fishing line, although you really can't see it so I never bother removing it.

I also left the same bunch of moss floating in my ten gallon for months on end before I had to move it to Rory's last minute improvised tank ^_^

You can actually just stick it in the sand (or gravel) and try to grow a messy carpet out of it

You can also do a moss wall You should look them up, they look really neat!

Java moss (maybe moss in general, but I have only had java) is awesome. It is SO durable and you can do whatever you want with it!
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #5 
amyteee

Java moss is awesome for scaping, really hardy and it looks nice. It grows fairly slowly but doesn't require much care. However, my boyfriend attached some to his driftwood in his tank with good lighting and fertiliser and it grew like mad! Now there's nice big bushy clumps of it all over the driftwood, and its super lush and green.
amyteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #6 
deso

The best-looking mosses on driftwood in my opinion are Fissidens Fontanus and Christmas Moss. And Flame moss, because it grows upwards, looks really interesting as a carpet. All of the above require a little more attention than java moss, but it's worth it.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #7 
acitydweller

Mosses are the one of the most versatile Aquatic plants. They need minimal light, do better with current and can be left free floating or attrached to stones or driftwood.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #8 
NeoViking

I'm looking forward to this! ^^ I didn't realize it was so easy.
The image in my head might be more achievable than I thought (:
I might get some for Kairi's tank too if all goes well in Vega's tank.

Thanks for all the info, that was exactly what I was looking for <3
Old 09-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I ordered some Christmas moss cant wait till it gets here. I am going to tie mine to a rock decoration I have with some cotton thread.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #10 
sarahspins

Cotton thread will rot under water in a very short time.. you would be better off with monafilament (either sewing thread or fishing line, which also has the benefit of being clear) or poly thread.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote