Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #1 
Sushi Dad

Question treating bloated, pinecone looking little friend

I have a 1.5 gallon tank, with filter, just added heater- 7.5 watt not ajustable. He has 4 live plants and a snail. Sushi started to eat less, then noticed his scales raised. Bought maracyn 2 and epsom salt. I have had him for 6 months. He still eats, just not as much. He used to devour 5 pellets 2 times a day. I know that seems like a lot, but I give them to him 1 at a time and he attacked each one, takes less than a minute. He is twice the size of the bettas at the store, not fat, just bigger. Just started to look bloated. He seems a little sluggish but still responds to me when I am near his tank. What is the better treatment to try? maracyn or epsom salt? I am assuming it is dropsy. I have never fed him live food, I do 50% water changes every week with spring water and stability. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Sushi Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #2 
laynisample

Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but hopefully you caught it early enough! This was taken from this thread. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote