Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Something is seriously wrong

Dumbledore is sick. Something is seriously wrong with him.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gallons, but now back in the 1 gallon hospital tank
What temperature is your tank? 80-81F
Does your tank have a filter? Not the 1 gallon, 5.5 yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times per day, 3-4 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice per week with the 5.5 but he's been in the 1 gallon all weekend due to fin rot treatment
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% in the 1 gallon everyday, 50% with the 5.5
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API StressCoat and Jungle Start Right

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.00ppm
Nitrite: 0.00ppm
Nitrate:0.00ppm
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Lost all of the dark brown/black in his face. Very dull in color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Now sits at the surface, or on the bottom. Doesn't want to eat, doesn't hardly swim. I have seen him go more vertical at the top and the middle of the big tank, too.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put him back in the 1 gallon with AQS because he was in it earlier today, and was fine. This all started when I put him back in the 5.5
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nothing like this
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know :/

Please help me.
Dumbledore is sick, I know he is. I went to put him back in the 5.5 today and as soon as I did, he floated to the bottom, clamped and just sat there. I knew something was wrong immediately. I watched him for a while, he did not swim, at all. Just kind of floated. He went up to the top, and went vertical for a little while, straightened himself out and laid at the top. I did notice that he kind of...burped, and white chunky stuff came out? Not big, but like little grains of salt. I had to go out and just got home about 20 minutes ago, I noticed some clear stuff is coming off of his body, I'm assuming this is his stress coat. I set up the hospital tank, filled it up with conditioned tap water, double stress coat and salt, acclimated him and put him in. What else can I do? I don't have any IAL or oak leaves. I really just want to cry. I have a picture and a video of him breathing, if you guys want it, let me know. Please help me...

Thank you..
Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Dumbledore is sick. Something is seriously wrong with him.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gallons, but now back in the 1 gallon hospital tank
What temperature is your tank? 80-81F
Does your tank have a filter? Not the 1 gallon, 5.5 yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times per day, 3-4 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice per week with the 5.5 but he's been in the 1 gallon all weekend due to fin rot treatment
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% in the 1 gallon everyday, 50% with the 5.5
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API StressCoat and Jungle Start Right

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.00ppm
Nitrite: 0.00ppm
Nitrate:0.00ppm
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Lost all of the dark brown/black in his face. Very dull in color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Now sits at the surface, or on the bottom. Doesn't want to eat, doesn't hardly swim. I have seen him go more vertical at the top and the middle of the big tank, too.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put him back in the 1 gallon with AQS because he was in it earlier today, and was fine. This all started when I put him back in the 5.5
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nothing like this
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know :/

Please help me.
Dumbledore is sick, I know he is. I went to put him back in the 5.5 today and as soon as I did, he floated to the bottom, clamped and just sat there. I knew something was wrong immediately. I watched him for a while, he did not swim, at all. Just kind of floated. He went up to the top, and went vertical for a little while, straightened himself out and laid at the top. I did notice that he kind of...burped, and white chunky stuff came out? Not big, but like little grains of salt. I had to go out and just got home about 20 minutes ago, I noticed some clear stuff is coming off of his body, I'm assuming this is his stress coat. I set up the hospital tank, filled it up with conditioned tap water, double stress coat and salt, acclimated him and put him in. What else can I do? I don't have any IAL or oak leaves. I really just want to cry. I have a picture and a video of him breathing, if you guys want it, let me know. Please help me...

Thank you..
Lizzy
I'm so sorry Lizzy...I'm guessing the white stuff coming out of him was parasites, but I'm really not experienced with illnesses...I hope you get the answer you need to help him..hugs
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Videos and photos are always helpful!
I'm really sorry dear, I have to head to sleep now, hopefully someone else can help.
It sounds like something may have stressed him out, since this is so sudden.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm not sure what it could be but the white stuff doesn't sound good. Did you remember to put dechlorinator in the water? I guess you did if you used Stresscoat.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

you can try pming sakura8. She is usually up pretty late.

did you acclimate him back into the 5G or did you forget conditioner?? I dont know about the white stuff but when i first got into fish I didnt know about conditioner and within hours they always went verticle
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #6 
LizzyP

Yes, big and small tank have conditioner. He's now just laying at the top of the 1 gallon on a plant. Refusing to eat, which is VERY unlike him, lost almost all his color. I just don't want him to die overnight. I don't know what to do.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #7 
Sakura8

I'm concerned that he's got an internal infection now. Are his fins still eroding to a point where you feel AQ salt is necessary? If they seem to be healing on their own now, I would switch to epsom salt at 3 tsp per gallon and start looking for Seachem Kanaplex. It's the best med for internal infections but unfortunately, it's hard to find so you may need to order it online.

Has he been doing any rubbing, any darting? His poop is normal, not stringy and parasitic?

Oh, when you say he burped and white stuff came out, was that from his mouth or, errr . . . uhm, you know . . .
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #8 
LizzyP

He isn't really darting or rubbing. Just laying there. Yes, the white stuff came out of his mouth. His poop isn't white or stringy, I saw him poop yesterday and it looked normal.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #9 
Bharp

My betta had the same symptoms, nothing helped after 4 day of not eating and salting, I came home to no Friend! I hope your fish is doing good, , mine darted across the tank and would get into a corner on swim like crazy, he never just laid down, or many he did this morn before I got back home with more supplies, but I was too late,, GOOD LUCK, I will keep a eye on your post and follow the progress,,,
Bharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #10 
Friendlyfishies

Did the white stuff that came out of his mouth go back in his mouth? Can he close his mouth at all?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote