Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #1 
TheCheese909

Velvet, how do i use Coppersafe?

I have a 5 gallon filtered aquarium with silk plants and one CT male Betta. I just put a new filter in his tank about two weeks ago and now he's got Velvet. I've had this problem with these types of filters before, I had added a new filter into a different 5 gallon and my HM got Ick about two days later..

But anyway..

So, he's got Velvet and i've been treating him in a 1 gallon QT with Maracide and have been for about 6 days? It's a bottle I've had around for awhile and I've got enough for about one more dosing. I have a new bottle of Coppersafe that i've never used before and I know they treat for the same things but the Coppersafe is supposed to be used in the actual tank itself and not a hospital tank.

The bottle says 1 teaspoon per 4 gallons of water and it treats for a whole month and that you 're not supposed to do water changes or take the filter out. I haven't changed the water of his home tank at all yet, so I think i'm just going to add the 1 teaspoon with a tiny bit extra (only like acouple drops) to make up for that extra gallon of water.

Do I need to add it again at all during this month long period or is one teaspoon going to be fine for the whole time like the bottle says? If I need to vacuum the tank at all and do like a 25% water change should I add another couple drops to this new water to make sure it's all treated or should I not change any water at all?
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #2 
Sakura8

I would avoid Coppersafe. It's a potent medicine and hard to deal with. Once you add copper to a tank, you must be absolutely positive that you have removed it completely when you are through. This usually entails getting a copper test kit and testing daily to make sure the carbon in the filter and daily water changes are reducing the copper levels. Many fish and especially invertebrates are sensitive to copper and can react poorly; not sure if bettas are among those fish are not, though. Also, velvet is highly resistant to chemical treatments, and is only susceptible at one stage in its life cycle (I believe it's the larvae stage but I could be wrong). Once it has moved on past that stage, chemicals/medicines won't kill it.

Instead, to treat velvet, I would suggest this: hospital tank that is easy to clean with high heat of about 86 F and 3 tsp of AQ salt per gallon. 100% changes daily and redose the salt. In addition, velvet is very light sensitive and photosynthesizes so it's important to keep the tank as dark as possible. Some people have literally stuffed the tank in a dark closet. o.O

Keep this up until you no longer see velvet and then continue for another 3 days.

Can you post a pic?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #3 
TheCheese909

With his bright blue coloring it's very very hard to pick up with the camera, with or without flash. This is the only one out of the whole 5 or so days that i got where you can see it not just on his chin but on his anal fin as well.

I've spent a good part of the day trying to get other pictures but in all the other ones he looks like a normal fish.

I did try the AQS treatment first before the Maracide, I did that for 8 days and it only got worse on his anal fin. Since I've been doing the Maracide it's gone away quite a bit on his chin but it's still really bad on his anal fin and tail.

EDIT://

I had no idea that it photosynthesizes, I haven't had him in direct light but now i'll make sure he doesn't have hardly any.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheCheese909; 09-17-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #4 
TheCheese909

Here's one other from the other day, you can kinda see some gold patches on on his anal fin.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Poor guy, yeah it is hard to see.

If the Maracide is working, I'd go ahead and continue with it then. Make sure there's high heat (to speed up the life cycle) and no light and hopefully the combo knocks those pesky pests right off of him.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #6 
TheCheese909

Okay, I'm going to have to see if I can go by PetSmart and grab some more of it.

He's not acting any different, he's still a jerk and eats like a cow lol, so that's good. I'll update in a few days and see if i can get more/better photos if things don't improve.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #7 
Sakura8

I'm glad he's still being himself. :D That feisty personality will definitely help him fight off those parasites. Good luck!