Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #1 
dbetta

Exclamation Help!!!! My betta just died and i dont know why

I just got my betta fish on Saturday and i put him in room temperature water. Then just today i placed a small space heater next to his bowl to heat it up and he loved it and was swimming more and making bubbles. I dont how he died within the next 3 hours because the water wasn't too hot at all. i cant believe he's dead. but is there anyway i can bring him back like maybe put him in ice water or something.
dbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

What...? You can't bring back the dead, sorry. :'( What size is your bowl, did you acclimate him, and what's the exact temperature?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #3 
dbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
What...? You can't bring back the dead, sorry. :'( What size is your bowl, did you acclimate him, and what's the exact temperature?

I saw a youtube video of a guy who brought his betta back to life from a similar situation:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrS4Qp2eG6Q

Also im unsure of the temp. because i dont have a thermometer. also the bowl is like 1 gallon and i acclimated him just by putting the heater next to the fish bowl and the heat slowly warmed the bowl up. i dont want this to happen again so what should i do? SHOULD i heat the water up first before buying a new betta and releasing it into the bowl?
dbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

Okay....first off get a heater, a proper tank heater. Get water conditioner and acclimate your fish. Please read around on the site to learn more on what to do when first getting fish. It's a lot to read through but it's beneficial. Seems like either you didn't condition his water or he died of shock.

Betta's need to be in water ranging from 78 to 86 degree's F
With a tank that small you need to clean it at least every other day or ammonia builds up and the fish can die.
Also you need to condition the water with water conditioner to take out all the dangerous chemicals to fish.
You need some plants and one shelter or hide for your fish and filters are not needed but they are nice to have.
Feed them 2 pellets twice a day, there is some basic stuff to start you off with.

Get a real heater and a thermometer and test kit for the water before you even consider getting a second fish.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

Also putting a betta in ice water is a BAD idea, they are tropical fish, if anything will kill them for certain it's putting them in ice cold water. I don't think the guys fish in that video made it much longer or did any better in ice cold water. I bet it died very young or shortly after he did this. I know my fish would belly up in ice cold water.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #6 
Friendlyfishies

Im kind of thinking the water was too warm. I know you said it wasnt but when I change my tank water my thermomiter reaches 85 degrees with warm water...to the touch it feels cool but when I look at the temp its quite warm...when you touched the water it probably didnt feel as warm as it actually was, but sometimes things have to happen to help us learn and become better fish providers. I had a betta three years ago, I didnt know he needed a heater and one night it dropped to 40 and we didnt have the heat on. I woke up in the AM and he was laying on the bottom of his tank breathing heavily. I didnt know what was wrong. That night he died. I really liked that betta but if he didnt pass on I wouldnt have gone online that night to research betta care and wouldnt have started the learning process. I had one other betta at that time and my research save my other betta but at the cost/death of the first betta. Im sure this time around you will do your research like I did and will have the proper equipment. A one gallon temp can also rapidly change...one minute it wasnt warm, the next super warm. I know betta stuff can get expensive. What do you have for equipment now? I wont judge you, everyone starts somewhere and most of us betta fans are here to help the best we can!

Are you in the US?
If your going to keep the 1 gallon Maybe you could invest in this before betta #2
http://www.petsmart.com/family/index...26+Accessories

Last edited by Friendlyfishies; 09-17-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #7 
Friendlyfishies

and if you are looking into getting a better set up this might help, this would be good for a first time betta parent in my opinion esp if you're on a budget...

I have this tank and personaly love it! Great price too. The pump on the filter can be a bit annoying if its in a bedroom but mine is in a family room where we dont hear it.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-LED-...-Pets/20693135
I have no experience with these 2 below tanks but ive seen them around on the forum
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-Aq...-Pump/14660254
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquarius-A...-Pets/17480272

anything under 2.5 gals could be subject to temp fluxuation that might not be safe for a betta so I recommend getting a tank that hold 2.5 gals or more. And if you go with a tank that holds 2.5 gals or more you will want to look at getting
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Subm...-Pets/12177656

this is a link that will bring you to a thread where ppl post their betta home to give you a better idea of what other members have for safe betta homes :)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=22202
everyones homes are different and unique both small and large! thats what I love about looking at all the different tanks and their artistic differences.

Good luck! Sorry for your loss.

Last edited by Friendlyfishies; 09-17-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote