Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #1 
kinseyb

possible fin rot???-- help!

Hi I'm new here so any advice would be very much appreciated!
I just got my little halfmoon via post about a week ago, but since then his dorsal fin has been deteriorating. When I got him, the back part of his dorsal was a little mangled, but I attributed that to being in a bag for a few days. However, now the front part of his fin seems to be splitting.
At the same time, though I've had to retank him twice. His first tank was the five gallon Fluval Chi, and everything was going great till I saw him being sucked into the filter (really REALLY upsetting) so I rehomed him into the Fluval view 4 gallon. Now his tail and dorsal fin look mangled and raggedy and are getting worse and I don't know if it's because of his experiences in the horrid Chi or something else.
For reference, as stated previously he's in a four gallon, temps are around 74-75 -- I have a heater but it's been constantly in the 90s for the last month where I live so I don't really think I need to use it for right now. The flow on the filter seems to be a bit much, I created a baffle from another post that seems to be helping, but I might get another tank if things don't get better. I feed him frozen brine shrimp twice a day. In his tank is a little fake plant that I trimmed all the edges that could be harmful off of (but maybe that's causing the damage) and an overturned cup.
nitrate/nitrite: 0 ppm
water hardness: soft/ 75 ppm
chlorine: o ppm
alkalinity: 80 ppm
pH- 7.2
He's super active, his color is beautiful and he's a little piggie when it comes to food-- so he doesn't seem sick or lethargic or anything.
Is it just damage or is it fin rot?! I'm new to fish and really want to have a healthy, gorgeous betta. Any help would be really, really appreciated.
kinseyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

It's hard to tell from the pics, but from what I can see it is not fin rot. I would say, filter damage, possibly biting from the stress of changing tanks, or damage from decorations. So, if you already baffled the filter, maybe you can add a control valve to slow the power of it. Buy some soft silk like plants, I would remove the ones you cut for sure. I wouldn't move him again, stress can make him tail bite. Work on the filter and decorations...oh and if his tank temp is 74-75, you may want to start using the heater...it's not a dangerous temp yet, but close, and a higher temp, around 80 may help his tail heal faster.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #3 
oryin

I agree, I can't see any rot. Just keep an eye on it and if it starts to turn black then you have a problem.
oryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #4 
kinseyb

Thanks so much you guys!! I put in the heater and today I found a bubble nest! So that was great :D
I will be adding some silk plants too, I was trying to decide if I wanted to go the whole live route, but with my track record of keeping plants alive that would not go over very well...
How often should I do water changes, though? I was doing them about once a week at 20-30%.
again, thanks for responding everyone! it means a lot!
kinseyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #5 
oryin

LOL I'd really like to have live plants too but I have a feeling I'll have a million and one problems so I'm just doing research for a while. If your tank is fully cycled then that's fine. If not you should be doing 1 100% and 1 50% a week. Also, even though gravel looks clean you should vacuum it.
oryin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot betta tail biting