Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #1 
chibifish

Sanitizing Everything? + 10 gallon okay for single betta?

Hey guys,

So, after a fish passes away, how do you sanitize the tank? I've been reading up the various methods and they seem to include bleach, vinegar, or salt. What would you recommend? I'm a little scared about the bleach (would there be any way to test that I got rid of it all?), but if it works the best I'm sure I can do it properly. I've also read about boiling water, but how would that work with plastic plants, heater, and a glass tank?

I'd clean my tank, filter, heater, thermometer, fake plants, and decor rocks. I have another half a bag of gravel so I wouldn't have to worry about that. How would I clean an airstone? Does it absorb any bacteria?

Now, since it was from some sort of disease, should I just throw away my moss balls?

Also, my tank is a 10 gallon, would that be too much for just one betta and nothing else? I don't want him stressing out.

Thanks guys, you've been such a help throughout my fish-keeping experience. After Chibi passed a couple mornings ago I felt like giving everything up. But this community helps me keep going. I enjoy taking care of bettas and I want to continue it and you guys gave me hope that I still can.
chibifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #2 
oryin

I've also read about using diluted bleach but I don't feel comfortable doing that. You could boil things that won't melt and soak plants and such in hot water a few times. Don't give up though! I killed my first betta in 2 days. >.< I didn't know about the whole, left over food ammonia deal and he was in a 1G. Luckily I found this forum and learned a whooole lot about caring for bettas.
oryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #3 
toad

A vinegar and salt scrub in hot water would be good :) As for your live plants, I think you can just quarantine them for a couple weeks in clean water (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong).

I have one of my males in a 10 gallon, which he moved to after he'd been in a 3g for a couple of months. He's doing great in it. He's been in the 10 for 2 months now, and he's very active and healthy. It mostly depends on the fish - I've heard of some fish being uncomfortable in larger tanks. Just try it out and see how it goes :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #4 
Sivan

10 gallons is perfectly fine for a single betta fish, so long as it does not have special needs. Some have very heavy fins and do not do well in deep tanks and others have extreme anxiety issues; such issues are rare, though. I am going to upgrade to a 10 gallon one day. My boy would love it, especially since he transitions immediately.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:54 AM   #5 
chibifish

Thanks for the replies guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
A vinegar and salt scrub in hot water would be good :)
How exactly would I do this? Dilute the vinegar in water with salt? Or separate?
chibifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #6 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibifish View Post
Thanks for the replies guys!

How exactly would I do this? Dilute the vinegar in water with salt? Or separate?

Sorry, I missed this question -

Make a loose paste out of white distilled vinegar and plain table salt to gently scrub down your tank and hardscape, then rinse with hot water a few times :) Or, if you are worried that the salt is too abrasive and will cause scratches you can just use the vinegar to wipe everything down and then rinse in hot water.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, bleach, sanitize, vinegar