Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

New pair

My last pair of persephone died from what appears to have been a bacterial infection and the pair before that leapt to their deaths, so I figured third time is the charm.

These two were delivered yesterday. They have been flirting and chasing each other around their temporary home so I'm hoping once I move them over into a bigger tank I might see some spawning happening.

Excuse the dirty glass in these photos hehe

One of the 25 odd fry that my last pair had before they passed. These guys survived an outbreak of ich and have now been going from strength to strength.

I am also writing up a care sheet on keeping coccina complex species for anyone who is interested in wilds.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Beautiful! Great job!!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Thanks. They are much nicer in person. Unfortunately, the bright light washes their colour right out.

Hoping to get some females out of my fry. But if I even get them to adulthood that should be an achievement. Surprisingly enough I didn't lose anyone to ich. Not even my tiny 1/2cm ones.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

You're hoping for females and I'm hoping for males LOL!
My last spawn gave me all females.

I love your tanks, btw.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

From what I have read, a lot of people get a very high ratio of males to females with this complex of bettas so I am hoping for one to two females to use as breeding stock. Then again, I find it really hard to correctly sex half the species I own, even when they reach adulthood so I probably won't be able to tell anyway!

Thanks. I don't like the look of rims and I like to have bevelled edges on all my tanks so I have a whole heap like this one. Cost me a small fortune, but they look nice and the glass is so clear.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #6 
CandiceMM

Seriously what an awesome pair! Other than wilds being on the shy side what do you enjoy out of keeping them :) I might be interested in a pair also and was wondering your thoughts on them.
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

They're not really shy if you get them used to you. My persephone were right up against the glass and eating from my tweezers the day they arrived from interstate. I have some from Indonesia that were wild-caught and while they will spook if you move too quickly, they will pop out to say hello during the day.

I like wild bettas (well this complex anyway) because they are absolutely stunning when fully coloured up, but also because I enjoy being able to have males/females in tanks together with no issues and because I can leave fry in with their parents and not have them eaten up.

I like to know also that I am doing my part in conserving a species (persephone) that is almost extinct in its natural habitat. Plus I just like the look of wild type fish.