Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #1 
gill2

Question Fin rot?

Hi everyone Im new here. I have been looking at the threads for a while and they have really helped me out. Im worried about Gill. His fins seem to be wearing away. He has one tear, on top I dont know how he got it. And the bottom and top fins look to be getting pointy. I worried that he has the beginning of fin rot. I do have a filter and I leave it on all day until night time, than I shut it down. It not very powerful. I do have that rock hiding place for him. I dont know if that is hurting him. It doesnt seem sharp. The water I change twice a week. 50% than 100% every three days. He does have a marimo ball with the help of your advice. and live betta bubs. he is in a 2.5 tank. If you look at my picture can anyone tell if it is fin rot? Its not a great picture Ill see if I can get another. he seems happy, swims, flashes, eats. Maybe its just me, a worried mommy.
Attached Images

gill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Is it heated also beware the jumping Betta. Aquarium salt helps fin rot also a little aquarium salt helps Marimo.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #3 
gill2

I have no heater but plan on buying one. Any thoughts on which one to buy? This tank have a lid on top and a light.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

One for a tank that small. Do you have a pet store nearby? If the answer is yes choose the weakest one they have.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 
gill2

Unhappy

Thank you for your help. do you think its fin rot or is rock cave hurting his fins? I keeping the filter off for now and doing aquarium salt. I also tossed out the betta bulbs. The betta bulbs were great but leaves started turning brown, so when I did water changes I would trim out brown leaves.He did love them but I worried they gave him something.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think it is just the heater when you add that it will really help. I meant small as in okay small not bad small. You will not beileve how active he will be after the heater. But please make sure about a lid. A little aquarium salt is good not marine or table salt.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #7 
gill2

thank you again. I will be picking up that heater in 2 days when I have a car. I going to pick up a 7.5 watt. I hope thats right?

Ok so I turned off filter and took away plants. When I left for work he was resting on top of filter. I get home and he was inside the tube of the filter. I dont know how he got in there. The filter wasnt on and no one was home to turn it on. Is there anything I can put at top of filter {Maybe some kind of sponge } so he cant get through the top. It does have a guard on top but maybe he went through slots. The bottom of the tube is secure to the bottom of the tank. I tested that.

I think is was hasty throwing out the betta bulbs. He did like resting on them. I buy him new ones when I pick up other things. Is there any live plants that you can suggest? I do appreciate all the help!