Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #1 
Pod

'Wild type' Molly, or, Endler/Molly Hybrid?

Recently[more like today], one or more of my livebearers have given birth. I have 2 gold dust molly fry, 4 pale white fry[look like panda platies, but, the female panda platy died a while ago, and only a male is left. There is another roaming around in the tank.], and 2 endler-looking fry.

Now, I've recently raised a few endler fry to juvinile-hood, and, I can tell that these 3 [there are three, but, I could not find the other.] were not of my soon-to-drop females. They were, for one thing, not as slender and quick as endler fry, and appear to be endler-colored mollies. Now, a while ago, I had endler's in the tank[males], but, they all died due to harrassment of the females.

The fry in question look exactly like endler fry, one has a few tiny black spots, the other just looks like a plain ol' endler, with the body shape and size of a newborn molly fry.

I thought about it hard, and looked at the duo closely. They have no deformities[as hybrids usually do], and, just have the exact same body structure as the 2 gold dust mollies in the tank. The mother/mothers possibly gave birth last night.

The three female endler's are close to dropping, but, they are not ready to drop yet. But, they will soon. Two are squared off.

Is it possible, that a LFS molly stored the sperm of a wild-type colored molly, or, hybridized with a endler?
[Pictures will be provided later on today]
Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #2 
Pod

Sorry for the, uh, double posting, I know its frowned upon, but, I couldn't find an edit button.
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/a...lmm802/024.jpg The main fry In question[If it's too blurry, can take another. Darn thing wouldn't stay still]
Old 07-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

I cant really tellfrom the picture. But if you can think of endlers as guppies. And the fact that guppy molly hybrids do exist, you might hust have an endler molly there
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #4 
Pod

Thank you. I'm working on getting a much better image. I think I do have a hybrid, seeing how I found the missing third, and, I've been looking into it further. Guess only time will tell.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Guppy/molly hybrids do exist? Otherwise I'd say you might just have a wild-type molly. Hmm.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #6 
Pod

Yes, Guppy/Molly hybrids do exist. They are of the same genus, which, means that they can reproduce with eachother. The resulting offspring are often sterile or infertile, and almost all male. If you are lucky, you'll get a breedable male and female 'muppy' or 'golly' as people call them. I didn't have any other mollies in the tank, and she came from a tank filled with normal gold dust mollies.
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/HNI_0046.jpg
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/HNI_0043.jpg
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/HNI_0040.jpg
Forgive me for the low quality pictures. It wouldn't stay still while in the temp photo booth. The tank the photobooth is in is a recent 25 gallon i purchased with no fish in it, as I'm waiting until I have the needed things for it.
This fish has 2 other siblings that have the single vertical line on its head area, except, the other two are lighter colored and do not have the black speckles.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:28 AM   #7 
Sakura8

That's pretty cool. I knew swordtails and platies could hybridize but I had no idea it could happen with guppies and mollies. Well, wild-type or hybrid, you have some very interesting fish. :)
Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #8 
Pod

Thank you. I am starting to suspect Hybrid, due to the fact that she had her last drop fairly recently, and those three were in said drop. And one of my juvinile endler's has been sexed and is a male. Chances are that a past endler inpregnated the molly, thus, creating the three odd siblings. Compared to the other gold dust mollies fry, they look entirely like molly-like endlers.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #9 
Sakura8

I can't wait for them to grow up. It will be very interesting to see what they ultimately look like.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #10 
Pod

I agree. It will be very interesting indeed! They are quite different compared to the rest of the fry I had.