Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #1 
MiyuMikaelson

Exclamation Heaters aren't working???

I've tried 2 heaters now. A low rated Top Fin adjustable heater, and now a $30 Aqueon adjustable heater. Both are submersible.

The problem: I'm trying to keep the tank heated at 78-80 F for my Betta. But my heaters don't seem to stay on? They heat it up and then let it drop down to 71-72. The Top Fin letting it get into the 60's. Which can shock and even kill my Betta. I need this resolved because he's going to be here tomorrow.

Tank Specs:
- 5 Gallon
-Top Fin 10 filter with Sponge add on and baffled flow.
-Multiple silk plants
-2x Jungle Vine with Java Moss
-Gargoyle Arch
-Betta hammock
-Thermometer
-Solid 2" of sand at the bottom, raises on one side.
-Florescent bulb for lighting
-2-3 Nerite snails

Can there be any reason that 2 would malfunction on me and not keep it a proper temperature? It's really concerning and bothersome. I'm moving the tank to a less open area, it'll have a wall behind it and on one side where as now it's not "hidden" from my fan? I don't know. I have a lid on it so I don't know why that would matter.

The tank:

Last edited by MiyuMikaelson; 03-05-2013 at 06:32 PM.
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #2 
jeaninel

What is the wattage of the heater? What is the ambient temp of the room the tank is in?
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #3 
sarahspins

How are you positioning them? Submersible heaters tend to work better when they are horizontal and placed low and near the filter intake - HOWEVER if you don't have a lot of flow in your tank, they will warm the water just around the heater and stop heating, because the thermostat inside the heater thinks the water is warm enough, even if the rest of the tank isn't. Also, not to state the obvious but you've adjusted the temperature setting to 80 on them? You might just need to set it higher - not all of them are accurate (2 of my 3 eheim jagers aren't, I have to set them 3-4 degrees higher than I want)... but they should still hold the temp steady when positioned correctly.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #4 
MiyuMikaelson

The Top Fin was a 25 Watt that I originally purchased.

The Aqueon is a 100 Watt that I purchased today. (Wanted 50, they didn't have any available.)

We keep our house between 68-72 F. It fluctuates because the insulation in the apartment complex isn't that great and we have to keep the A/C on in the Summer time because it's Georgia. lol.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #5 
MiyuMikaelson

The Top Fin, I had set to the highest setting. (Like 95.) And it was barely hitting 78.

The Aqueon is set to 82 right now? I have it horizontal in about the center... Should I un-baffle the filter? I have the thermostat on the front of the tank, on the same side that the adjustable knob is on for the heater. (Heater's in the back.)