Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #1 
labloverl

Question Divided tank setup questions

I'm dividing a 5 gallon and I need to know where the heater should be. I have a tetra whisper internal filter next to the divider on the right side, so should the heater go on the left side right next to the divider? Also, what size heater should a 5 gallon need?

I also don't want my fish getting his fins sucked into the filter, so what can I do to baffle the intake? I have some sort of filter foam that is in the form of big yellowish colored rectangles. It's very similar to ths if not the same thing. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754144 I was a little confused because it showed that it goes into big filters, but I figured foam was foam and I could use it somehow. So is there anyway I can use it on this filter to help keep the fish's fins safe?

And last, for 2 fish in a 5 gallon, what water changes should I have to do?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

I would put the heater next to the divider on the left side. You want your heat source to be as near to your filter as possible. It ensures the best distribution of warm water.

To baffle the filter, cut the foam into a piece large enough to cover the intake. That foam is used in larger filters (I have it in my 55 gallon), but can easily be cut down to the size you want/need and then attach with a rubber band. Alternatively there is black filter foam that you can find at Petsmart if you want a little less obtrusive color.

Once you get the tank cycled, you should do at least a 30% weekly water change.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #3 
Laki

I cut up a sponge and baffled it on the output valve on my filter, there is some pantyhose on the intake, but not all the way around it. Everything is secured with elastic bands.
My heater is one side of my divided tank and the filter is on the other. The thermometer on the opposite side of the heater reads a steady 78F so the only benefit one fish might have is a degree warmer water. No big deal.
My 5.5g has a Whisper 10 filter. It's silent and efficient. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #4 
labloverl

So the foam goes on the outside? Why was I thinking it went inside?

It has just finished cycling a few days ago.

Laki, does your's look like this?

Excuse how boring it looks. I still have to add a background and some silk plants on the divider in replace of the 2 smaller plastic plants.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #5 
labloverl

Ok, so this filter is sucking the fish through the divider. He gets pulled up against it and just sits there. Yes I could move the filter over so the current wouldn't pull so hard, but it also has a problem of not breaking the water very well. Even without the divider, it made a ton of bubbles that gathered on the surface and there's also a film on the water. At times I think it gets slimy. Is this harmful to the fish. I know what protein films are, but this seems a bit different.

So really, the foam goes on the outside of the intake at the bottom? Do I need to baffle the out flow? I hate to since it already has a problem breaking the water.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #6 
katydidmischief

Sometimes baffling the intake slows down the flow enough that baffling the outflow is unnecessary. I had to do both because my filter is a pretty powerful HOB that was previously in my 5gallon, but in my 10gallon, it really only needed the intake baffled.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #7 
Laki

@lablover, basically. I decorated mine a littler heavier. Here is it yesterday:
The filter is on the right side behind the plants- the heater is on the left behind Lude's cave.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #8 
labloverl

So if I baffle the intake, then the filter will likely have even more trouble breaking the water. I need to get a picture of what it's doing.

Laki, thanks. Also, I have that same heater for my 10 gallon, but it takes up the whole height of the tank so it must be bigger. But isn't there a line at the top of it that says "water level?" And I was worried about how close mine sat to the gravel, but your's is very close. Does that not matter?
Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #9 
Laki

Oh my no, the "water level" means don't let it OUT of water!! Mine is 100% submersible, make sure yours is before submersing it.
I break the intake with a bit of pantyhose, outtake with sponge. One sec- I'll get pics.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #10 
Laki

Is this what you mean?? I know I tried only baffling the intake when I first set it up and my poor fish couldn't swim very well, ended up cutting himself behind the filter in attempt to get out of the lowest setting outtake. SO then I improvised with this gross ugly sponge lol
Attached Images